The Mistake | Teen Ink

The Mistake

When I walked down stairs there was nothing but silence. They had talked to me since I had talked back to them last night. If I could go back in time I wouldn’t have hollered at them. I have never seen them this mad.
I started off that day like any other day. When I walked into the science room, that’s when it all changed. When I was taking the test my brain felt like it was going to explode.
“Where is this stuff coming from, we never even learned it. I was totally lost.” I thought to myself.
“What’s the matter kid, I’m not that hard.” mumbled the test.
“I know but I didn’t study” I replied
After correcting the test I was looking around franticly to see who had my test. As he set the test down on my desk, my heart sank. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I had gotten a “C” on my test. I felt I let the whole world down, but I just let myself down. My parents aren’t going to be too happy. I hadn’t study at all for that test but I was surprised I got a “C” on it. As I walked though the hallway I was as nervous as a little girl chewing her fingernails.
“Autumn what is wrong.” asked Hannah
“I got a “C” on my test; I had never gotten a “B” or lower on my tests before.”
“You are an excellent student. You will get you grade up by the end of the quarter.” consoled Hannah.
I was as sad as a little child who dropped their ice cream cone on the ground. When I got home I walked through the door with perturbation in my eyes. My parents were there, hovered over me I stood there in dread.
“What happened today in science.” My mom yelled.
Before I could even reverberate my father was yelling. As I was talking to my furious parents I could feel goose bumps slithering down my back. I could feel my anger build up in my body. My head was pounding with echoes of furious voices in my head. All of a sudden I was so overwhelmed.
“I am so sick of you guys yelling at me. Yes, I realize that I messed up and it’s my fault but nobody is perfect. We all mess up and I can’t take it any more. You guys make me so stressed out. I am so tired of trying to make you guys happy. It makes me so nervous when I get a bad grade.” I blurted out in frustration.
My parents were speechless. I next stormed upstairs to my room. The next morning all I got was a dirty look and breakfast. I was lucky I got a ride to school that morning. Throughout the whole day I was fretting about what they were planning for tonight. I could feel my stomach quiver. As I walked through the door I just about fell over. They didn’t give me any dirty looks. They talked to me and they had forgiven me. I was as shocked as a cat that fell in water. I think that my brother was as shocked as I was too.
As I was talking my parents I mentioned how I felt really bad for not being the best role model for my brother. I also told them how I felt about how I treated them. For how many years they have taken care of me they disserve a lot better.
I learned many things from this mistake. I am going to change this mistake by listening to my parents more often. I am also going to take their advice more often. I now realize that they are only trying to protect me. They have been through it before to; so they know somewhat how my life is. If they didn’t provide me with their knowledge they wouldn’t care about me. I think that this change will make me a better person. I am somewhat glad that I made this mistake because without my parent’s knowledge I wouldn’t be the person I am today. This change is going to make me try a lot harder in school and sports.
The way that I am going to help this situation is I am going to listen to my parents for what they have to say. I might as well listen because it will only make me a better person. I am also going to help this situation out by treating my friends better.
But of course no one is perfect and life doesn’t work out that way, but I am going to have to live with my regret. I am never going to forget about this mistake but I am going to improve the situation as much as I can. I am going to have a better attitude toward my parents. They are the ones who have respected me for 14- years. I should respect them with the same amount of respect they give me. I love them very much and I know they love me.

on Aug. 19 2008 at 11:20 pm
Your story is great! I love it! When did you write it? Its awesome!