An under priced dress | Teen Ink

An under priced dress

May 31, 2008
By Anonymous

Nancy Carter a well known clothing designer in New York. A girl who grew up on a farm is now one of the top clothing designers in New York. That’s a big step, going from being a farm girl to living in a high class society.

One day Nancy strolls into Saks Fifth Avenue wearing her new Chanel handbag, her sparkly Dior necklace, and her bright red Gucci pumps. She said politely to the lady at the counter, “Excuse me miss. Can you please tell me where your evening gowns are?”

“Yes, they are in the back of the store next to the sign that says evening gowns,” the lady at the counter said politely back to Nancy.

She walked till she got to the back of the store with the sign that said evening gowns. Then she spotted the most perfect dress ever. It was a Badgley Mischka Platinum Label Iridescent Chiffon Gown. It was a strapless, long, peachy colored dress with a rhinestone accent that any women would die to have.

“This can’t be right! Only $995.00! This dress is obviously worth way more than this. This is just absurd! I have to speak to the manager,” she gasped.

She walked back up to the front of the store to kindly ask the cashier to get the manager. When she arrived at the counter the cashier asked her if she would like to buy the dress. When Nancy heard those words she shot back an appalled look on her face.

“Is there a problem,” the cashier asked.

“Yes there is! As you can see this dress is priced as $995.00. So clearly that is the problem here. This dress is under priced! It is worth way more than this,” she impatiently said.

“Hmm. Maybe I should get the manager to handle this situation,” the cashier said.

Nancy stood there while the cashier quickly stomped off to get the manager. A couple minutes when the cashier finally returned with the manager, Nancy looked more disgusted than ever.

“Hello m’am. How can I help you today,” the manager asked.

“Yes, I have a big problem. This dress I have here is way to cheap! This dress should be raised at least $50.00,” Nancy demanded.

“M’am, I’m sorry. I just can’t change the price of a dress like that,” the manager kindly said.

Nancy marched off to the back of the store and went rummaging through other dresses, still having the under priced dress in her hand. As Nancy was going through other evening gowns she unexpectedly gave a thunderous gasp. With about ten other dresses she went sprinting to the front of the store and laid all of the dresses out across the counter.

“Ahem! Excuse me sir! Here are some dresses that are completely hideous and are priced about $100 higher than the dress I said was under priced! Something should be done about this,” Nancy stated.

In an annoyed tone, the manager said, “Well what would you like me to do about that m’am?”

With a shocked look on her face, she said, “Well I think that you should either hide these dresses somewhere far away because I personally would hate to have these dresses seen in my store or you should lower the prices of these dresses immediately!”

The manager did not say anything back to Nancy. He just stood these and gave her an odd look as if she were crazy. They all stood there in silence for a moment or two.

Then Nancy spoke up in a loud confident tone of voice, “Well if you wont raise the price of the dress, then I will just have to pay extra money for this dress because for something this beautiful I will not pay such a low price $995.00 is just not enough!”

“Well if that’s what it takes to get you to shut up, then alright. You can pay as much money as you money,” the manger said.

As Nancy started to walk out of Saks Fifth Avenue she turned around to the manager and said, “Oh and by the way, I will be notifying your supervisors about this matter. Have a nice day! Bye.”