Mustard | Teen Ink

Mustard

“Let’s go, Billy; Grandma is expecting us for lunch soon!”

“I’m coming, Mom!” Billy said as he scampered down the stairs.

They walked out to the car and Billy hopped in the backseat and Mom waited till she heard the click.
“Click!” went Billy’s seat belt. “I’m ready, Mom!”

Driving down the road to Grandma’s house, they passed the Mount Horeb Mustard Museum.

“Mom, what’s in there?”

“That’s the mustard museum, Billy. They have lots of different types of mustard in there for people to try. People can buy it if they like it.”

“Do I like mustard, Mom?”

“You can see if you do today! We’ll try some at Grandmas.”

“Ok!”

As they pulled into Grandmas driveway, she was waiting on her porch to get a hug from little Billy.

“Grandma!”

“Billy! How are you honey?”

“I’m great Grandma, but I’m really hungry, can I try some mustard today?”

“Of course, I have some potato salad inside waiting for us. Let’s go eat lunch.”

As they walked inside, Billy saw a big yellow bottle. He asked Grandma what it was and she said it was mustard.

“Why is it yellow, Grandma?”

“That’s just how it is made, Billy. Let’s eat.”
They all sat around the table and Grandma passed out the turkey sandwiches and the potato salad.

“Here you go Billy. I’m sure you’ll like it.”

“But why is it so yellow? Is it safe to eat? I don’t know about this…”

“Just try it Billy, you’ll like it. Here, I’ll even try a bite first,” said mom.

“Mmm, this is great! Your turn Billy!”

“Ok mom… but if I get sick it’s your fault!”

“Haha, alright Billy.”
Billy tried a small bite. He chewed… and…

“Yum! Grandma, this is sooo good! Can I have some more?”

“Of course young man! Here you go.”
Billy and his mom were on their way home from Grandmas and all Billy can think about is how yummy the potato salad was. He wanted to make his own. When he got home, he called up his Grandma and asked how to make it. She said she puts in all of her favorite things and the delicious mustard. So, Billy had an idea. He went to the refrigerator and got out all of his favorite things. He got out all of his favorite things; a piece of pizza from last night, some chocolate ice cream, Mac-n-cheese, a piece of his sister’s birthday cake and some peanut butter and of course, the delicious mustard. Billy put everything in a big bowl and mixed it up. Then he added his new favorite thing, mustard! He mixed some in until everything was yellow. Then he got out a fork and tried a bite of his delicious potato salad…

“YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!” Billy shouted

Billy’s mom came down the stairs. “What’s wrong Billy?”

“I tried to make potato salad like Grandma said, with all of my favorite things, but it doesn’t taste good!”

“Oh, Billy, you have to follow a recipe. There are certain things that go in there and some things that shouldn’t.

“Oh, alright. Do you have the right recipe?”

“I do, but we need to go to the Mount Horeb Mustard Museum to get some more mustard!”

“Yeah, let’s go!”

Billy and his mom hopped back in the car and drove to the Mount Horeb Mustard Museum to get some mustard to make their delicious potato salad, together.