When They Leave | Teen Ink

When They Leave

By NessaStar BRONZE, Dobbs Ferry, New York
NessaStar BRONZE, Dobbs Ferry, New York

The silver dust of moonlight settled coldly on the night. The beautiful landscape of full trees and bright, pastel-colored flowers contradicted the way that Mallorie felt. The slivers of light from the full moon overhead illuminated her face giving her face an almost doll-like look—she looked like she could break at any given moment, as if even a gust of wind could shatter her. Her curly, golden hair framed her heart-shaped face, her soft brown eyes wide like those of a child—innocent. Fat drops of salty liquid fell from her eyes and off of her face, wiping of any makeup in their path.

Her face showed no emotions, no sobs left her lips: not a sound. If not for the tears, she would seem indifferent; but, they were there, almost like a path into her mind—into her thoughts. She took a few steps forward, her legs shaking, unstably holding her weight. She clumsily stumbled over to figure that lay on the floor. No breathing, no pulse. Her knees buckled, sending her frail body crashing down onto the hard grass and dirt.

Cautiously, as if any sharp movements would result in death, Mallorie moved her hand to grab the lifeless one next to her. It was cold to touch; it was all her fault. Moving closer she caught a glimpse of his face: he looked indifferent as if sleeping, except there was no rhythmic breathing—nothing. Just a deafening silence screaming, “he’s gone!” And he was, but Mallorie couldn’t believe that: she wouldn’t! He couldn’t be dead, not now. They were supposed to live together: happily ever after. What had happened? She remembered meeting him here. Her memory started blurring. They had an argument. Then it went black. When she came to, he was unmoving and there was a rock in her hand.

How could she have done this to him? How…?

The world suddenly came crashing down on her. She had killed her lover, the one person to ever have her heart; no—he was her heart. A loud sob unexpectedly ripped through the air. Her façade had broken. Tears poured out of her eyes rapidly dripping off of her flushed face and her breathing quickened to an alarming rate. She was a killer—a monster. She moved her body even closer to his, curling up with him and wrapping her arms around him. She took a shaky breath then opened her mouth.

“I love you,” she panted, “so let’s be together. Don’t leave me alone.” Her world started to fade to black, and she closed her eyes.

Written for my English project...had serious writer's block -_-