The Abandon House | Teen Ink

The Abandon House

“Kevin, Micha, the car is here.”

“I wish we didn’t have to move,” complained Kevin.

“Yeah, we have to leave all our friends to go live in some dumpy, old, abandon house. The place is like 100 years old,” nagged Micha.

“Well, we better get going,” said Kevin.

“Guess so,” agreed Micha.

The Lockwood’s were moving all the way to Maine where they had to live at an old house on the top of a hill, with absolutely no connection to the outside world. The closest building was at least 27 miles away.

“The things we do for your father,” said their mom. “If only he wasn’t in such a weird business.”

“Wait, you mean the only reason we’re out there is because dad needs to research some stupid plant?” asked Kevin.

“Unfortunately yes. His job entails moving to places with exotic plants. While your dad is busy, you guys can help me make the house nice and cheery!” explained their mom.

“Uh, no thanks,” said Kevin and Micha simultaneously.

When the Lockwood’s arrived, the house was literally falling apart. Everything needed to be repaired or replaced. The house didn’t even have electricity or plumbing. And for some odd reason, the house hade a really bad stench that blew in your face as you entered.

“How can we live in a house without the necessities of life, and a smell that could kill a horse?” asked Micha.

“Oh come on you guys, it’ll be just like camping except were in a house. I promise it won’t be as bad as you think. Now promise me you won’t complain about anything,” said their dad.

The two promised. Later that night, while it was pitch black, Micha woke to use the bathroom. She was inside the house and needed to go all the way out to the outhouse. She peaked outside through the front door. As she did, she heard a creak on the wooden floor. When she looked back, nothing was there. Chills ran down her spin as her mind raced through all the different possibilities of what it could have been. Her heart was beating out of her chest and she decided to just go to sleep and use the bathroom in the morning.

That morning she passed the noise off as an animal walking around in her house. She talked to Kevin about it and he said he was wakened by a weird sound.

“Maybe we should go in the woods and talk about this so mom and dad can’t listen,” suggested Kevin.

“Are you kidding? The woods is the scariest place here,” replied Micha.

“Well, I doubt there is anything out there in the daylight,” he said.

So, both decided to go and talk in the woods. They walked for about 15 minutes until they came across a clearing where they sat on the ground.

“So, last night, I got up to pee and I heard this really loud creaking sound right behind me. When I looked nothing was there,” explained Micha

“Well, now that I think about it, the noise I heard was heavy breathing, and it was right outside my bedroom door. It was really creepy so I just lied motionless so it wouldn’t hear me,” said Kevin

“Wait, it, what do mean it? You think it’s something supernatural?” asked Micha

“Are you kidding, it’s got to be. We’re the only ones out here. Nothing else would want to live like this unless it was supernatural,” explained Kevin

“Oh that’s comforting. For all we know this “thing” could be watching our every move, just waiting to attack. It could be watching us right now,” whispered Micha

Just as she spoke those words, they both quieted down and could hear something breathing heavily. All of the sudden a twig cracked and out came a huge hairy beast-like creature with big yellow eyes and extremely sharp teeth. The two screamed on the top of their lungs and ran as fast as they possibly could.

The thing didn’t chase them it just stared as they ran like nuts out of the forest. Once they got to the edge they looked back and noticed it was gone. After that, they went inside and decided to help their mom with the house.

“What do you think it was?” questioned Micha

“I don’t know, but it looked like a wolf-man to me,” answered Kevin

“What are you talking about, those things don’t exist,” Micha said

“Then what do you call that?” asked Kevin

“Oh, I don’t know,” replied Micha

Later in the day, Kevin and Micha decided to sleep in the same room so they could wake up and keep watch for the wolf-man. They got flashlights and everything. Then they waited until nightfall.

Night had come. It was 2:00 in the morning when they woke up and left the room. They clicked on their flashlights and stayed close. They decided to check out the basement. They looked around for doors but the only one to the basement was locked from inside. So, they figured there had to be another door because the first one was locked from inside. They looked around, checked closets and quietly knocked on walls. Unfortunately, they couldn’t find a secret way down. Then Kevin tripped on a paint can and fell against the wall table. As he did it slid to the side and exposed half a door. The door was really tiny, like a dog door. They pushed the table further and tried to open the door. The door wouldn’t budge. They decided to come back in the morning when it would be safer.

Morning came and they told their parents they were going to be in the woods but snuck by the table and pried the little door behind it loose. Then they pulled it off and crawled inside. It was a tiny hole that looked like it went on for miles. They crawled and crawled for about 20 minutes when they came across a door above them. They pushed up and got out. A second later they realized they were in the same clearing as before. Their hearts started beating, thinking the beast would come out of nowhere and attack them.

Then they noticed a tall, dark figure beyond the bushes. When it emerged they could see clearly that it was the wolf-man. They tried to run but it wouldn’t let them. It was staring deep into their eyes. Somehow they couldn’t move. It had some kind of power over them that was controlling their actions. It came closer. Closer. Kevin got scared.

“Please don’t eat us,” begged Kevin

It let out a low growl and then started to say something.

“I’m not going to eat you. I am here to warn you of the horrible dangers of that house,” it said

“How is a house dangerous?” asked Kevin

“Kevin, don’t ask questions, just listen to it and then run when it lets us go,” whispered Micha

“I am not here to harm you. If you don’t believe that, I really don’t care, but you must get out of that house,” it started to shout.

“What is so wrong with the house?” asked Micha

“Long ago, a man named Horace Mann lived there. He was a man who played with the likes of my kind. When he discovered us, he made us work for him. For some reason, we never rebelled. On a late August night, Horace was found dead by his maid. She blamed us and we were sentenced to death. But before anyone could kill us, we killed them. Their spirits haunt that very house to this day. If you wish to stay, prepare for a lifetime of hell.”

“Who is them?” asked Kevin

Before he could ask a gust of wind blew through the clearing and the wolf-man was gone. They didn’t know how he did it but that wasn’t the question on their mind.

“Who is “them” and why would they make those things work. I mean, if they wanted out all they had to do was attack the people and then run,” said Micha

“Well, I don’t care about his stupid story, I don’t trust him. He is really creepy. And how would a man get all these huge wolf-men things to listen to him. Honestly, I say we just leave it alone. I bet this place is fine.” Said Kevin

Then, the two started to make their way back home. As they did, they felt the presence of eyes lurking in the shadows. Ears listening to every word sliding off their tongue and claws ready to rip them to shreds.

Once they got home, they immediately went to the locked basement door and broke it down. They went down there to look for any records of owners. The house had been owned by many people and passed around from person to person. So all the records of owners weren’t there. There was no Horace Mann either, but they assumed he was a missing record. They started looking around for more information when they heard a crash from the other side of the basement. It was muffled and came from the opposite side of the wall, but there was no door to get in. They assumed it was another secret hideaway so they started looking for a trap door.

They looked for about an hour and then gave up. Leaning against the wall, each slid down and sat on the cold cement. As they did, Micha noticed a small hole under the stairs. She followed along a crack until she came to another hole, just above the other. She crawled over to it and pulled out. As she did, a huge piece of wood came falling out on her. She screamed and covered her head and then…..Kevin reached over and grabbed it before she was hit.

Each found a flashlight and clicked it on. They stepped in and followed the narrow hallway to a room. They shined their lights around but couldn’t really make out what was in the room. Kevin reached for a switch and found one. He pulled it and just as the light came on they froze in horror. The room was filled with body parts. Not old ones in jars but new ones hanging from hooks dripping with blood. The room was huge too. The entire thing was full of people. The stench was horrific from rotting pieces and they had to breath through their shirts.

They couldn’t stand the sight but as they turned to leave, they heard a door open. It was the one to the basement steps. They thought it was their parents, and Micha went to scream their name when her mouth was covered by her brother.

“What’s wrong with you?”

“shhh, its not mom or dad, remember. Earlier, they said they were going out in the woods for plants. Micha, it’s just us in the house.” Whispered Kevin

Kevin looked quickly for a place to hide and then pulled the string a second time to hide them in the darkness. They hid in the furthest spot from the door behind dead bodies. They backed up until they hit the wall. They stood there frozen, trying not to breath in fear of being found. They could hear claws scrapping against the wooden floor. Every step it took, it would breath even more heavy. As it turned the light on in the room, Kevin and Micha stood motionless praying for their lives. Kevin could see its face. Its eyes were red now; it was baring its teeth and had saliva pouring out of its mouth.

“Come out, come out, wherever you are,” it said as it laughed a very evil laugh.

“I see you have found my eating quarters. It’s so nice to know I don’t have to get food anymore. Because now it’s coming to me,” it snarled.

“I’m going to run at it with one of these hooks hanging the bodies, as soon as I start running, sneak past him and get out,” whispered Kevin

“No way am I leaving here alone,” snapped Micha

“Don’t worry, I’ll find a way out”

“No way”

“Ah ha ha ha haaa. There’s no way out! I underestimated you though. I didn’t think you would be able to figure this out but I assume you did. You see, Horace was trying to kill us Wendigos because we were eating his towns’ people. Yes, that’s right, I’m the bad one here. We couldn’t let him get us though. So, we simply killed him and burned the town. Nobody would have known anyone existed out here if it wasn’t for you. So, you see, I have to kill you now. You both will make a nice appetizer before my grand feast,” bellowed the wendigo.

“What are you talking about?” shouted Kevin

“Oh, you didn’t know? Well, I will inform you then. Earlier today I picked up some good-sized people to enjoy as my dinner, if you know what I mean.”

“Oh my god! He’s got mom and dad,” cried Micha

“Well, you’re a quick study! I’m surprised to learn that you didn’t see them in here” chuckled the wendigo

“WHAT!”

Micha started to cry and Kevin got really pissed off. Just as the wendigo started to move towards them, he grabbed a hook and jabbed it into the wendigo’s leg. Then, he pushed him aside and pulled Micha along with him as he ran out of the room and up the steps. They had reached the top when the thought popped into his mind. What if mom and dad are still alive! He thought about it for a moment but the wendigo was at their feet and they had to leave.

“I’ll get you, you know! There’s no one around for miles and there are a lot more of me lurking around. Sooner or later we’ll get you,” shouted the wendigo as it dashed up the stairs.

“C’mon, Micha, we have to make it to the car,” said Kevin.

“What are you talking about? Can’t we just stay here with mom and dad?” pleaded Micha

“They’re dead,” said Kevin

“That’s my point!” she wined

“No. There is no way I’m going to lose you too.” Said Kevin angrily

As the two ran to the car five wendigos appeared from nowhere and started to chase them. Luckily, they made it to the car and locked the door. But it wouldn’t be long until the wendigo’s smashed in the glass and got them. An angel must have been on their side though because the keys were left in the ignition. Kevin quickly climbed into the drivers seat and started the car. He had driven a Golf Cart so he had a sense of what to do.

He put it into first gear and pushed the right peddle. He steered the car out of the driveway. The wendigo’s were still on their tail. They were odd creatures that could run really fast. It was a miracle that they had even made it to the car. He started accelerating and the wendigo’s were slowly fading from their view. Once they had lost sight of all of them they slowed down and drove for another 13 miles. They still had a ways to go until they saw their first house.
Once they did, they immediately went inside the house to get help. When they went in, it was all-dark and no one answered them when they called out. Then Micha got a bad feeling deep in her gut.
“Kevin, I don’t think anybody lives here. Let’s look for another house.” She begged him.
Kevin insisted that somebody had to be here because this was the house that had, had a child playing in the yard when they first drove by it to get to their new home. Micha felt really uncomfortable. They each split up to check the rooms. When Micha went into a room it was a bedroom of a little girl and the first thing she saw was a puddle of blood under the bed, half exposed. She screamed and Kevin came running. Once he saw it he knew the wendigo’s had got to them.

“This is really weird. I thought they only stayed in Orange County. Remember, the wendigos only stay in Orange County because its totally deserted and nobody would know they’re there. Why would they start killing out here? Unless they did this to get to us,” he said
“Oh my god! What if they took over the whole world. We would have nowhere to go.” Wondered Micha
“I don’t think that’s possible. Let’s just get out of here, okay?’ asked Kevin
“Okay,” agreed Micha
They got in the car, which was running low on gas. They drove for about 11 miles until their car stalled. They got out and looked around. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. They decided to walk for a while until they saw a house. When they did, they went inside and it was the same thing. Nobody was there. It was completely deserted. They both started to consider the possibility that the wendigo’s did take over everything.
Kevin and Micha both agreed that they should sleep at the house they were in until morning. In the morning, Kevin woke to pounding metal. When he looked around he started to panic because he was in a different room. It was all white and Micha wasn’t there. Then, just as he realized where he was the doorknob started to turn and in came Micha!
“Kevin, you’re okay! I thought the wendigo’s had gotten to you until the nurse Lilly told me you were still sleeping”, cried Micha with joy.
“Where are we?” asked Kevin still sleepy
“ Oh, uh, we are in Plymouth, Maine. It’s a rescue town from wendigos. They started killing people all over so they used this town as a rescue base. They’re going to find all the people still alive out here and then the government is going to seal up all the borders so the wendigos can’t get out. There is one thing, um, mom and dad, they’re….they’re dead.” Micha started to cry.
“Micha, everything is going to be okay!” said Kevin in an unsure voice.
“I hope so”
Two years later, Kevin and Micha were living in New York with their aunt and uncle. It was a cold October, Saturday and both aunt and uncle had to work, so Kevin and Micha were left home alone. They heard a scratching noise. They both had flashbacks from Maine and they got scared and hid. The scratching kept getting louder and louder. Finally, Kevin crawled out from under his bed and looked through the hole in the door and saw a huge wendigo staring back at him. He let out a scream and then the door handle started to turn. In came the huge beast and Kevin kicked it and ran to hide. The thing said owe in the voice of a young boy. Then the creature pulled off its head and out came Mark, The next-door neighbor.
“Happy Halloween!”