Caller ID: James (740) 443-5892 | Teen Ink

Caller ID: James (740) 443-5892

Sitting on a grassy hill, looking out at Lake Erie, and watching the waves crash on the They spent four hours talking, laughing, and enjoying each others company. Ann and James were one the cutest couples the camp had ever seen. Ann was 16 years old, has long brown hair, green eyes, girly but still has a tom-boyish side and lives in a suburb of Maine. James on the other hand was 18 years old, with shaggy brown hair to his ears, big brown eyes, wears a black pair of pants and t-shirts every day, and lives in New York. In a few months he leaves for college in New Jersey to go to a technical school to major in Computer Science.
They were inseparable even when they went to cedar point with camp. They spent the whole day with their friends. Their first kiss was seen by many of cedar point passer bys. Her camp friend walks up just as he kisses her and immediately after her friend says in a low voice “you… me…bathroom…now.”
Ann quietly says to James as she starts to walk away “excuse me I need to use the restroom.” He nods as she turns and walks away.
Suddenly she hears his ring tone by Adam Sandler, “I wanna make you smile whenever you're sad carry you around when your arthritis is bad all I wanna do, is grow old with you.” She answers “Hey, Sweetie, how are you?” in her normal excited voice that she uses only for him.
He replied “I’m doing alright. What about you, gorgeous?” Ann could tell he really wasn’t okay by the tone of his voice. The night before, they had talked about her going off to college and studying abroad, he didn’t take it very well.
“I’m okay, but seriously, hunny what’s wrong? I know you aren’t okay, you’ve never been good at lying to me?”
“Oh, I’m fine; we’ll talk about it later. So how was your day today? Did you do anything fun?” The problems had begun.
How can I have a relationship if the key thing in the relationships is to talk and we don’t?
“If today is not a good day to bring it up then when is?” she raised her voice in irritation.
“Fine, I just don’t know what I’m going to do about you going off to college, I really want you to move closer to me for college,” he rambled on “ and I don’t think we’ll stay together if you do a study abroad program.”
“Umm… I don’t really know what to say. I’m most likely going over seas no matter what for at the least a semester; can you please support me in this?”
“We’ll see what happens, for now let’s just be happy and make the best of what we have.”
She started crying, not knowing what else to do. James felt ashamed that he made Ann cry again. He tried to calm her by saying, “everything’s going to be alright, I promise. I love you, gorgeous.”
James started freaking out to his friends, especially his roommate, Rex who was just like James in personality. Rex was starting to get distraught, and started talking to Ann to see what was going on and to see if he could help them out. He knew they both cared about each other so much that they couldn’t live without each other.
Not long after James started panicking to Ann about their previous conversations on oolleges. Because of him she started panicking about everything too: James living in New York and Ann living in Maine, Ann going off to college even though it wasn’t for another year and a month, seeing each other 3 or 4 times a year, him always playing video games and sometimes picking them over her, and so much more. They had made it through so many problems; why was it so hard to do get through these specific ones? Ann pondered.
James became very freaked out and called her one day; they both knew things between them weren’t going as well as they hoped. She answered the phone with a cordial “hi” and he reply with a “hi” and the dreaded words began.
“We need to talk” James said.
Ann’s heart dropped at that moment, she knew what was going to happen before the call ended.
“I’ve been thinking about all the things that have been going on and I just don’t think I can deal with them. We probably won’t even make it through you’re first semester over seas.”
Ann didn’t know what to say except “if that’s what you need” as she started to sniffle and tears started running down her face. She hurried and got off the phone to cry for hours by herself in her room, with a box of tissues by her side and her stuffed dog, butterscotch. Her dog had always been by her side whenever she needed her, unlike her friends.
She finally calmed down enough to try to call someone so they could try to get her mind off of him. She called one of her best friends, Delanie. Delanie decided that she would take her beloved friend out for some coffee and talk things out.
“Ann what happened?” Delanie started their conversation
“We started talking about me going off to college a couple weeks ago and he flipped out and broke up with me,” She said through her tears. “I don’t know what to do,” she continued “I love him so much and I don’t want to give him up because of college, but I don’t want to make the same mistakes as my sister!”
Delanie started with questions before her advice, “do you love him?”
“Yes” Ann answered
“Is he worth your time?” Delanie Continued
“Of course!” Ann said
“Do you think he’d wait for you?”
“I know he would!”
“Would he be willing to follow you?”
“He would only be able to follow me if he got a job that moved him to where I was after he graduates.”
“Well, what is your heart telling you?”
“That he doesn’t love me anymore and that I wish he would come back pick me up, kiss me like he has never kissed me before. I then, want him to hold me and say ‘everything’s going to be fine’ and I really want everything to really be fine,” she said through her tears.
“Pray and things will work out the way they’re supposed to”
Ann was still a bit upset but she had to take her best friends advice. Delanie thought she was more upset that he wasn’t going to be at her dance recital that meant so much to her and it was only a week away.
A couple days later Delanie decided to try to call James to see if she could work something out as a surprise.
This is how the conversation went “Hey James its Delanie, How are you?”
“I’m doing okay and you?” he replied sulkily.
“I’m doing alright, I heard about you and Ann.”
“Yeah…is she okay?”
“Not really she really misses you and I can tell she loves you with all her heart”
“I love her too.”
“Then why did you break up with her?”
“Don’t know”
“Don’t lie James you had a reason why won’t you just tell me?”
“…Because…because… I’m scared…and I don’t want to loose her. So if I just break it off now then I can get over it and be okay, with time.” he said hesitantly
“That is the most senseless thing I have ever heard in my life!” Delanie raised her voice in rage
“I know I shouldn’t have but I just got really nervous about things and did it at a random time and didn’t think I’m sorry!”
“Well…I have a proposal for you.” she said and continued with her plan for only them two to know about.
It was the night of Ann and Lynn’s, one of her best friends who was 4’10.5” with blond hair, green eyes, and had an accent because she was from Tennessee, first performance of their dance recital. You could see it in Ann’s eyes that she was anxious. Lynn came up to her, held her hands, and prayed “Dear Lord, please calm Ann’s nerves as she’s afraid to perform tonight and please be with us the rest of the evening” and in unison they said “amen.” Ann and Lynn were so excited for the end of the performance because they had plans to go out afterwards Ann was planning on going out with Delanie, which was not her original plan which upset her a little. Lynn was going out with her boyfriend for a romantic evening.
Lynn and Ann both danced their hearts out and finished their first performance out of 3. Delanie had said that after Ann’s recital that she should meet her at Gustavo’s for a girl’s night out. When Ann went back to the dressing room, she saw flowers sitting by her bag; they were her favorite, purple roses. She read the note attached it said “Can’t wait to hang out with you tonight! XOXO
” with no name signed. She laughed as she envisioned Delanie putting these in her room for when she came back to the room. Finally she got dressed, put her make up on, and made herself look gorgeous for the night ahead her.
She shows up at Gustavo’s, a very nice Italian restaurant; she asks the hostess if anyone for a party of two under the name Delanie was here. The Hostess nods, and directs her to her table. Instead of seeing Delanie, she saw James! She stood there stunned. She wasn’t sure how to react to this surprise, she had thought they were over…for forever.
After a short delay he stood up.
He slowly walked towards her as he had the face of: what I was thinking. He looked at her as if she was the most beautiful girl in the entire world. He tried to start talking and all that comes out was “uhh ehh bluu pfffft lalulalu.” He finally spits something out “You look SOO exquisite tonight!”
She didn’t respond
He walks closer and closer until they were only a foot apart it was his test to see if the feelings they had were still there. She didn’t back up, she stood there, he got closer and closer until their lips touched. He kissed her in a way that made her know exactly how he felt and that he was never going anywhere else. Their lips start to part and as they did he slowly bent down on one knee, by this time everyone in the restaurant is watching. He pulls out a box, he slowly opens it to see a beautiful diamond ring shimmering in the light, and Ann started crying and couldn’t stop. As she cried he said “will you make me the happiest and luckiest man in the world and make me your husband?” she was speechless.
Everyone around was saying “Aww,” “They’re such a charming couple,” “Young love is marvelous,” and many more comments.
She finally through the crying mustered out a “yes, I will”
The Restaurant started clapping.
He rose to his feet, kissed her and held her like there was no tomorrow.

The next thing she knew she was in a white wedding gown with a halter top. It was a low cut dress but it had some material to cover part of her chest up. It had a lilac sash around her stomach. The beautiful wedding dress had sequins from the sash, just below her chest, up to the halter straps and on the train of the dress. It also had lace with white satin behind it for a small open area at the top of her dress. She had a beautiful headband with diamond looking stones on it with her hair up in all spiral curls and a beautiful, white veil with lilac trimming. As she walked down the aisle with her father, who was dressed in a black tuxedo, she held on to her fathers arm tightly. She looked down at the front of the Church to see her soon-to-be-husband standing there smiling with the happiest expression, on his face, that she had ever seen. She knew for sure right then that she loved him with all her heart and she would now have the rest of her life to show him how much all her heart was.