Margery Tucker-Harrison’s Diary | Teen Ink

Margery Tucker-Harrison’s Diary

May 27, 2008
By Anonymous

April 20- Nathanial is fighting with Barbara again due to them being plagued with having to share one pair between them. As the trail gets harsher I dread the fighting between the two of them that will transpire. My headache is too unbearable to continue writing-

April 24- Today is my son Harold’s birthday. It pains me to know all we are able to provide for him as a present, is an extra piece of cornmeal. It brought a tear to my eye seeing the excitement in his face after receiving such a little pittance of a gift.

May 6- The trail is still somewhat flat as we proceed westward. Our cattle are still traversing without hesitation westward, thanks to the family walking along the wagon in spite of our weariness. We haven’t seen clouds in days.

May 25- We haven’t seen the sun’s warming glow in weeks due to the peevish down pours and hazy skies. It seems as if it wasn’t our destiny to end up in Oregon. We are starting the see what seems to be mountains as it clears up in the distance. I just hope our cattle will survive the trek through the great hills.
June 7- My stomach seems to be getting large as we proceed westward. I feel queasy at times and need a rest frequently. I think I might be carrying a child. We have just reached the foothills of beautiful mountains that we will have to struggle to ascend.

June 16- Susan and Barbara are turning twelve today, so we are setting up a camp at a beautiful lake. The cattle seem to be growing weary as we head up the treacherous slopes, and the kids are trying to catch our dinner, for there seems to be an abundance of trout.

June 20- Our stomachs have ceased to growl, for we have been eating trout for a full week or so. We are starting to wonder if we are heading the right way. The trail seems not as warn down as it has been, and the terrain is moderately changing. I just hope God is steering us in the right direction.

July 15- I have not been able to write for a while due to the unexpected complications of what we have embarked upon. We hit snow a while ago, and have been searching far a way around it. Food is running low, and our cattle are being uncooperative due to the fact that they are near death. We are all very cold, very tired, and very, very, hungry. I am really starting to worry about my unborn child whom Terrance and I have agreed to name Berkely.

August 1- We finally discovered a way around the snow, but we lost a cow on the way. Since we didn’t want to waste perfectly good meat, we decided to eat him. We just stumbled upon perfect grazing area for the rest of the cattle to feed. We set up a camp here and are planning to stay for a while. Lucky there is a little stream that hopefully has fish and clean water to drink.

August 20- We have just left camp having stumbled upon the perfect place to regain energy. The children sparsely talk, for they have grown very weary in the frigid weather. We have been fishing for weeks and caught a surplus for the rest of the way. We seem to be getting closer to Oregon and closer to being the mother of a new child. It seems as if Berkely is kicking his way out of my stomach and I’m no longer walking as much, to our cattle’s discomfort.

September 2- We are barely getting by. Berkely was born yesterday after hours of labor. I am drained of all my energy, but he is so beautiful. He is so little. He has brown hair, and brown eyes. If Terrance wasn’t with me every second of labor I don’t think I’d have made it. This experience has really made us closer.

September 16- This will be the final entry of Margery Tucker-Harrison’s diary. We made it. We are currently in the skirts of a town in Oregon, and now have plenty of food. We are low on money though, but after our experience money doesn’t matter to us anymore. What matters is that we have each other and can make it on our own. Berkely is doing just great and the rest of the children are just great. Terrance is busy build a cabin with Harold and Tomas. Nathaniel is fishing with the girls for dinner, which they have become good at. And the cattle are grazing through the fields.