Silence | Teen Ink

Silence

Silence walked through the door and swept through each and every hallway of the school. The hallways were now empty, and the classrooms now full of students eager to get back into the hallways. The only things left in the midst of the silent pathways were abandoned notes and algebra homework, empty Halloween candy wrappers, and a girl. She didn't have an eighth period class and nobody minded that she sat there. She didn't bother anyone and she didn't intrude on classrooms or make loud noises so it was hard for others to concentrate. And it wasn't like she walked around the halls aimlessly. She just sat there...alone, in that same spot every day. The occasional draft blew in from a newly opened stairwell door and it rustled the papers on the ground a little which upset the girl. It gently tickled the back of her neck and twisted her hair just a bit.

The girl liked this spot best because it was the same every time she sat there. The hallway usually remained quiet for the whole period, except for the occasional overheard lecture of a teacher in the next room or the chatter of best friends coming back from the bathroom. Yes, the hallway was usually empty, except for the few students who decided they didn't need eighth period. They'd walk through trying not to act suspicious, but it never worked out very well. And they'd only hang out where there wasn't a teacher watching over the hall. Then they'd have these clever excuses if they got caught, like, " I pass," or maybe "I'm at gym and we have a free period."

The people who did pass didn't seem to notice her at all; nobody said anything or did anything. A select few would stare her dead in the eye, for five minutes sometimes. After a while, they would look away and shake their heads and walk away, but they would constantly look back to that spot. But that didn't bother her much. Nothing seemed to bother her much. And Silence would haunt the hallways until the bell rang and when it did, Silence would leave.

dawn said...
Wait! Wait! Do I hear them talking about doing a play???? Great writing!!! Keep it up, you never know who may read it!!!!!

anthony said...
well written, good work Sarah.

Tom B. said...
on Aug. 6 2008 at 1:28 am
I could feel it, my mind pictured the hallway...the solitude - in the midst of hustle. An interesting girl "Nothing seemed to bother her much" (Quoteable).

RoeA said...
Sarah..... very imaginative. keep up the good work

snackers6 said...
Sarah....I LOVE THIS !!!!

congratulations!!!!!!!!