Saying Goodbye | Teen Ink

Saying Goodbye

May 20, 2008
By Anonymous

Mandy walks up the steps to her boyfriend’s house. She knocks on the door, peering through the window to see if she can see anyone. Someone says come in.
She opens the door and sees her boyfriend’s brother sitting on the couch watching T.V.

He says, “Hey Mandy,” and then looks back at the T.V. She says hello back and then begins talking to him about an art project that’s due that week.

After talking to Sam, she walks into her boyfriend’s room to see what he’s doing. She sees him folding clothes on his bed. She smiles at him and says hello. He turns around and says, “Hello Schnookums.”

“Why do you always call me that?” she says.

“Because it’s cute and I like it,” he tells her.

Right then she realizes how much she’s going to miss him- driving to his house every other day, having dinner with him and his parents and all the little things that she’s gotten use to while she’s been dating him. He asks her how her day was and if anything exciting happened. She tells him that her day was okay and nothing really happened.

“Oh that’s exciting he says,” in an exaggerated tone.

She starts laughing and says, “Whatever.”
After a couple minutes of silence, Brian tells her that he’s leaving sooner then he had planned.

The last thing she wants to happen just came true. She tries to keep a straight face and then begins asking him questions.

He tells her that he’s leaving April 18th. She begins counting how many days left they would have together before he moves 500 miles away. She then realizes that they only have a week together. Things begin running through her head that she still wants to do with him and then she realizes that they may not have enough time to do all the things she had hoped to and she will lose memories they may not be able to have together.

He looks at her and asks her if she’s okay. She tells her boyfriend, “Yea I’m fine,” even though she’s far from being fine.
He hangs his last shirt up and then walks over to her. He leans down and gives her a kiss and then tells her, “Everything will be okay.”