The Cemetery | Teen Ink

The Cemetery

May 17, 2008
By Anonymous

It was a horrifying night. I still remember the way it screamed in agony, the way it stared at me with its black eyes. There is no scientific explanation for what happened that day. What I’m about to tell you is something no one has ever heard before; something so terrifying, it has given me the same nightmares ever since that day.

My mother waited in the passenger’s seat of the car as I quickly got my shoes on. I placed my wallet in my pocket and hopped in the car. Today was Sunday, the day of the week that I visited my father at the cemetery. Ever since his car accident two years ago, I have spent some time at his grave every Sunday.

It was near the end of the day. Sunset would be occurring soon. As we were approaching the cemetery, my mother grabbed the flashlight out of the glove compartment. It was always dark at the cemetery, as if the sun forgot to shine in that particular area. I parked the car in the lot. The cemetery was darker than usual, but I didn’t pay much attention as to why. We stepped out of the car, and began to make our way toward his grave. My father rested in the deepest part of the cemetery - it was always a ten minute walk from the parking lot. It was always a silent walk, my mother and I wouldn’t talk to each other. I turned my flash light on, and we made our way there.

We approached his tombstone - I knew everything on it like the back of my hand. “R.I.P. Robert Laney, Loving Husband and Father, December 15 1953 - October 12 2007” was written in large print, with a little chess piece at the very bottom. He loved that game. I took the wallet out of my pocket and pulled out a prayer I had written for him. I recited it quietly to him - it felt like he could hear me.

After about twenty minutes, we began to make our way back to the car. It was very dark now - I couldn’t see without the guidance of my flashlight. We reached the car, and I hopped in. Just as my mother got into the car, I realized that my wallet was not in my pocket. I panicked for a moment, then realized that I must have left it at my father’s grave. I told my mother she could wait at the car while I quickly ran over to retrieve it. I grabbed the flashlight again, and ran back to the tombstone.

It was pitch black. I couldn’t see a thing besides what was in front of my flashlight. It was dead silent - the only sounds came from my feet as they crunched the leaves on the cold floor. Finally, I reached the grave, almost out of breath. I waved the flashlight left and right, looking for my wallet. Suddenly, as I was searching frantically for the wallet, I heard a noise of what seemed to be a groan. I jumped and turned around, raising my flashlight toward the direction of the sound. Nothing was there. My heart racing, I lowered myself to the ground, spreading my hands on the floor. At last, I found the wallet. I stood up again, and began to run back towards the car.

Then, I froze. Something groaned behind me. I turned slowly, with the flashlight pointed on the floor. I steadily began to raise it, until I saw it. About thirty feet away from me stood a tall, dark figure, its black eyes staring at me, with both its arms extended in my direction. It screamed as my flashlight shined on it. Horrified, I dropped the flashlight. The tall figure vanished from my sight - it was too dark. I quickly picked up the flashlight and noticed that the battery had fallen out. The figure made a louder groan - it was getting closer to me. Goosebumps covered my whole body and the hairs on the back of my neck prickled. I turned around and began to run blindingly toward the car. I couldn’t see a thing. My heart was beating faster than it ever has. I don’t know if the figure was following me or not and I didn’t want to know. After a few minutes of running through the cemetery by memory, I saw the car lights. As I nearly reached the door, I heard the same loud scream again. Terrified, I opened the door and slammed it close. My mom, startled, stared at me and asked me what the problem was. I didn’t answer. I turned the engine on and zoomed out of the cemetery. My mom asked me again, but I remained silent. I just stared at the road, nearly petrified. When we approached my house, my heart became calm again. It was a relief to be back at home. After my experience that night,. I don’t plan on visiting the cemetery again for a long time.