The Alchemist (Alternate Ending) | Teen Ink

The Alchemist (Alternate Ending)

May 30, 2012
By Anonymous

“Good-bye,” the alchemist said.

“Good-bye,” said the boy.

The boy rode through the dunes for several hours after his departure with the alchemist. As he approached the top of yet another dune, his heart leapt, for he began to see the tops of the Pyramids.

“I’ll have my treasure in a matter of hours,” the boy said to himself.

Once the boy reached the top of the dune, he didn’t know where to look. He decided to walk towards the Pyramids and admire them. As he was feeling the stones that made up one of the Pyramids, the boy felt his hand fall in when he touched one of the stones.

Just after the first stone went into the Pyramid, the surrounding stones also caved in, and the ones next to those followed. Eventually, there was an opening in the Pyramid that was just big enough for the boy to fit through.

“This has to be where my treasure is,” the boy thought.

The boy entered the Pyramid, but instead of being dark, the inside of the Pyramid was actually very bright, so much so that the boy had to wait for his eyes to adjust after being in the darkness the night. It was much bigger on the inside of the Pyramid than it seemed from the outside, and it was maze-like.
The boy wandered around inside the Pyramid for no longer than ten minutes when he stumbled upon a rather large room. Suddenly, there was an enormous gust of wind that blinded the boy. When the boy regained sight, he saw before him an enormous white horse, on top of which was a horseman dressed entirely in black. It was the Alchemist!
“What are you doing here?” asked the boy.
“I am here to tell you about your treasure,” replied the alchemist. “Do you remember when I told you that where your treasure is, there also will be your heart?”
“I remember everything you told me.”
“Very good. Now this also means that where your heart is, there also is your treasure. Your heart lies in the omens and the lessons that it has learned, and this is your treasure.” The Alchemist smiled and bade the boy farewell and left.
Instead of feeling downtrodden, the boy felt uplifted and inspired. He had learned many new things throughout his travels, saw many new places, and met his one true love. Now, he could choose to do whatever he wished, and that is exactly what he intended to do.