the move, the change | Teen Ink

the move, the change

By Morgan Boyer BRONZE, Summerfield, North Carolina
Morgan Boyer BRONZE, Summerfield, North Carolina

As I walk down the halls staring at the ground people pass by laughing, pointing and even pushing me. I don’t know what I did to deserve this but I know it must have been something bad. Or maybe I am just different from them. They all have clear, flawless skin and my already freckled face is specked with blemishes. They all have a person of the opposite sex attached to them at the hip, while I walk alone. No one will give me a chance to be myself, I feel like I am being forced into hiding. I am a very bubbly person with a positive attitude and these kids are able to drain that from me.
“Hey Hun, how was your day at school?” mom asked as soon as I walked into the door.
That was all it took for me to break down. My mom wrapped me in a bear hug and told me it was all going to be ok.
“If it was…all…ok I… would not have to go… through hell every…day at … school.” I said through my sobs. This has been an ongoing battle between me and my mom. She does not understand just how bad it is and the teachers are too oblivious to see it. I try everyday to tell her you would think the fact that I cry every time she asks how my day went would help me get my point across. Only it never does and the cycle repeats. When suddenly my dad burst through the door.
“Pack your things everyone… we are moving to Texas!” My mouth along with my mom’s drop to the floor. Mine out of pure excitement at getting new start and hers in pure horror of having to leave her home here in California to start a new life out in the middle of no where. I immediately run to my room and being packing my things.
“We leave tonight” I hear my dad yell from the kitchen. I begin to speed pack, and in only four hours I have packed m whole room with the exception of my bead frame. I can hear my mom sobbing softly in her room as she neatly folds things and places them ever so carefully in her hot pink suitcase.
Once packed my mom and dad climbed into their gold Cadillac while I climbed into my hunter green Jeep Cherokee pulling the U-Haul trailer behind me. I was ready for the nearly 10 hour drive before we stopped for a break. Nine hours and 59 minutes later we stopped at Chick-fil-a for a quick bite to eat then we were back on the road.
“OMG, we are here” I whisper to myself as we pulled into the drive of a mansion of a house. This really is it, a new start for me, for my family, for all. I did not think I would ever see the day. It was Friday night, so no school tomorrow. That means I will spend part of the day unpacking and part of it shopping for a new wardrobe while I got a feel for what people wear.
The next morning I woke up on the floor in my clothes from the day before. Wow I got really far unpacking last night; I did not even pull my mattress in from the trailer, which I was planning on doing. I started to pull my stuff off the trailer very careful not to wake my sleeping parents. Who managed to pull their bed frame and mattress off the trailer, along with completely making their bed. Once I got my bed completely made my bed, I decided it was time to go grab some breakfast and head to the mall.
I drove around for at least an hour before I found a single building; the feel was a lot different then CA. You could not even see the sky due to all the buildings around now the sky is all you see. I cannot say I hated the change! Six hours later I came out of the “mall” with hundreds of dollars worth of clothes. My dad gave me money the day before to spend on clothes because unlike my mom, he actually knows or pretends to know what I am going through. Once I got home I put away my brand new wardrobe into my brand new walk in closet! Tomorrow I would spend all day unpacking but today I was going to put on outfit after outfit to find what I wanted to wear Monday.
Sunday flew by in a flash but I got my whole room unpacked. Once Monday morning rolled around I was already up, showered, and dressed ready to go to school. The only problem was I was an hour early. I decided to go to a diner I saw driving yesterday that was about ten minutes away. It looked run down and sketchy but I thought I would check it out. Once I got there I noticed there had to have been 20 people crammed into 10 seats. I walked in slowly as 20 high school students turned their head to look at me. UMM? I walked up to the counter as a tall, muscular student walked my way. I stopped at the counter, him maybe a foot behind me. I turned around to tell him to back off a little bit but when I did he had his hand stretched out while saying that he was Evan and asking who I was.
Once I ordered my omelet, Evan invited me to sit over with him and three of his other friends (only one being a girl I might add). We sat and talked until it was time to go to school. I figured they went to the same school because it was the only school for miles. Evan ended up riding with me in my car and I would have sat there all day and talked to him.
A couple of months later my life has gotten so much better, I come home from school with a giant grin on my face and usually three or four of my friends tagging along. But the best thing of all is Evan and I have been dating for a month now and we are going to dinner tonight for our anniversary, and he says he has something big planned. I absolutely love my new life!!