Remembering | Teen Ink

Remembering

The flames grew higher and higher into the sky as the little old lady with Alzheimer Disease ran out of the house. She could never remember anything that ever happened in the past. Eighty-five years of living in the beautiful Victorian home, and now it was being burnt down because two young boys decided to play with matches and cause to buildings to start on fire, leading to the whole town burning down. She had lived there all her life. From the time she was a baby, crawling on her knees, to the time when her husband died. She was losing her memory fast; she never could recall what happened the day before. But today was different.

As she ran out of the trembling house that was now completely covered with flames, she realized she was starting to remember some of the things about her life. It all came to her very fast and she remembered everything very well. She could remember when she was seven years old, playing hide and seek in the pink rose bush. She remembered getting poked and stuck by the thorns and her mom yelling at her because all the roses were falling off. She remembered when she was a teen; she would walk with friends to the market across the street. She noticed that there was no market anymore, it was already gone. She recalled lying in the grass with her boyfriend, who she remembers marrying, and looking up through the dark trees at the bright stars. She remembers that someone loved her. Someone loved her enough to care for her. This all came to her so fast she forgot that her once happy home was burning to ashes.

She snapped out of her flashbacks and panicked. She had no idea what was going on and she didn’t know what to do. She panicked more and more. It was getting harder for her to breathe as she was bursting into tears. She didn’t want her life to end. Everything important in her life happened in this house and now it was gone. All the possessions she had ever owned were in the house. She fell to her knees, tears flowing like a river down her face. Nobody saw her in time to help her. She wanted to be with the people who loved her and cared for her. She dropped to the ground. No pulse, gone, but remembering everything that happened.