The Light | Teen Ink

The Light

May 27, 2012
By Tomoko BRONZE, Palo Alto, California
Tomoko BRONZE, Palo Alto, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Every movement was agony, but it was worth it- it kept me safe. The more I looked the more magnificent it seemed. I could now see that it was not pure white - it was purer than that. It had a hint of yellow in it, but it was still purer that any white I had ever seen. The shine formed a spectral glow around my goal, and each movement made me gravitate slightly closer to the source, the source of the divine shine, which was now my existence. It fed my mind in a way that resembled a drug; once you got some, you couldn’t stop. It became too much- I gave up and moved towards it.
I floated on the realization that I was joining the shine, that there was no point in resisting. I moved towards it, drawn by its unearthly beauty. My body sang - joining was much easier than resisting. Each movement was easy unimpeded, and so complete that all thoughts and worries were erased, leaving only the shine and me. Two parts should go together, shouldn’t they? I was momentarily obstructed by this thought, but soon banished it. Each movement brought me closer to my goal, closer to my completion. I needed it, now. But I was torn, for though ecstasy pulsed through half of my body, terror pulsed through the other. Through all of its beauty, there was a sense of wrongness to what I was about to do. It had not been five minutes, and I felt that my life should belong to the shine. Ah the shine, it was so gorgeous and beguiling, but it was bad, I knew that. I shouldn’t be here. But I couldn’t beat it. And if you cant beat it, join it.

I moved forwards, coming closer and closer to the shine. It began to hurt my eyes as it shimmered around me like a thousand facets. Still, as I moved towards it, the air heated, drying my moist body and drawing the vapor out of the air. But I didn’t care, for the shine was so close it seemed all I had to do was reach out and I could touch it. With one last effort, I beat my wings one more time and hit the lightbulb.