15 Minutes | Teen Ink

15 Minutes

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock… I could hear the consistent tick-tocking of time’s precious fifteen minutes. I was losing each minute, second, and millisecond as I pounded down the dusty dirt road toward my destination as the bloody red sun made it’s gorgeous exit throwing exotic colors that one could not find on an artist’s palette.
I clutched my sweaty palms around the thin parchment that I was to deliver. My duty. It was the race against time to mark my name in history books, and to really make a difference to the world.
Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock… I gasped as my lungs seemed to burn madly with fire and my arms and legs felt as if they would fall of my body and hit the ground. All of a sudden I felt like stopping. I didn’t care if the time was beating me. I stopped suddenly as I let my lungs cool down as I through air all over the raging burning in my lungs as water would stop an uncontrollable fire. Until it hit me that each time I breathed selfishly to cool down the rampant fire in my lungs, time was beating me with each little tick of the second hand doing it’s habitual rounds around the clock. I shook my head and snapped out of my sudden bliss and began to let my feet run as fast as I could run. My feet skimmed the ground and my legs flew over the dirt so fast, I was only a ball of dust and a swinging ponytail.
Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock… Each time I ran closer to my destination, I knew that I was catching up to the beat of time. Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock…