Strong Bonds

The children watched through a crevice in the side of the fence as their neighbor's new puppy bounded around in the small, but neat, yard and sniffed at the flowers before being called inside for dinner. The children's own pup seemed to be affected by lethargy and then watched the old dog as they sullenly ate their dinner in the dining room, reflecting on scenes from the past. After all, it had been only last year that the children had chased their stalwart canine through the house, yard, and, some days, even down the block. The terrier would bark with the other dogs in a friendly manner that made the children sometimes suspect collusion before racing away from the pack and disappearing behind a neighbor's meticulously trimmed hedge. With these pleasant memories, the children smiled and looked upon their longtime companion fondly, noting the dignity in his eyes even as he slumped in a corner, resting lazily, but paying attention nevertheless to every sight, smell, and sound.

jackiee129 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the theme of this poem. It seems simple but the underlying message is very complex and true. Again, your vocabulary is awesome. I feel the the piece ended a bit abruptly, but other than that I loved it!

realbeautifulheart replied...
Thanks! I was in a Lemony Snicket mood, hence the extensive vocabulary (except I didn't provide a connotation for each word) when I wrote this. The ending is a bit abrupt, but I wanted the reader to keep all the images in their mind and my only option (other than to provide a recap in conclusion) was to cut the story short. (: