Villain | Teen Ink

Villain

By Meredith McGraw BRONZE, Shoreline, Washington
Meredith McGraw BRONZE, Shoreline, Washington

They made me into a villain. It was never my fault, nor my intention. In fact, I don’t even like
the kinds of things I’m made to do.
And they made him a hero.
I don’t know how heroic he really is. Or how heroic he was, anyways. I know he works for the
greater good, usually by “foiling” my “evil plans”.
But I’m not evil. Or I wasn’t. I can’t even tell anymore. I don’t want to destroy, or rule, the
world. Or whatever.
In fact, I used to be the hero. Or at least I thought I was. I wouldn’t stop whatever plan the
local bad people had thought up, but I would stop a mugging. I would save the lady who’s
purse was stolen. I would help get the cat out of the tree. I would’ve stumped the evil villain,
given the chance.
But somehow, my good deeds were always overlooked, in favor of seeing something always
out of my control.
A police officer would pass just as I was beating up the mugger, as I had already told the
victim to flee. The purse-snatcher would’ve been wearing a mask, and the woman would
mistake me for the thief. I would rescue the cat, only to turn to the friendly old lady who
happened to have dementia, and thought I was trying to hurt it. I eventually attained a
reputation for bad, however small.
And then came the Big Baddie.
An evil woman moved into a mansion down the street. She was planning on killing a big time
CEO, who was coming to some town festival. He was not pleased to know that, after I pushed
the man over the nearby rooftop, he was impaled on a spike. Not good for business,
reputation, or my name.
After that, I was known as an evil-doer. I was the bad guy. And one of the many heroes of our
time decided I must be stopped.
Not anyone could be a hero. You had to have the look, the determination, and the eye of the
people on top.
The CEO I made lose face just happened to be one of the sponsors of the heroes of today. He
decided that every hero needed a main foe or two, and unfortunately, the world loved
watching a good old-fashioned real world duel. They lived for the entertainment we provided.
Of course, they were never in any danger. If there even were any real villains, then they were
too inept to achieve their goals. The ones like me, shunned from society just because of a
good conscience, didn’t ever plan to win. We just played along, and one day - one day, one of
us is going to snap. We’re going to forget we were ever good. We’ll accept it. And on that day,
one of us will succeed. Because it takes a special type of person to play this game. If you
weren’t smart enough to take over the world, or destroy it or whatever, then you were
defeated by your “hero” in an instant.
You wouldn’t last the first round.
You would be what I like to call a “filler villain”. Just one of the small fries on the way to
“heroism”, or their quest to destroy their bad guy.
And they may or may not hesitate to kill you. Because after all, they weren’t really heroes, were
they?
No. They were just some rich man’s way of making more money for himself, and some
entertainment for the general public.
Because why put on a show, or movie, when you could just as easily give day-to-day stories
that people had to continue to pay for.
It was genius, really.
So why do I feel like I’m the victim here? I’m supposed to be the bad one here, the antagonist,
the instigator.
So I should get on with the instigating then, right?
Right.
Look out, world. Here comes your biggest enemy.
The friend that you shunned.
Time to take out a hero.

Written for my English class enrichment assignment.