Runners | Teen Ink

Runners

By lolsmileymini BRONZE, Washington, District Of Columbia
lolsmileymini BRONZE, Washington, District Of Columbia

"It's better to try, then to not try at all." -Keila Cline

This was my chance. This is my turn. My turn to win. Coach said this was important. But how important is it?
“Coach,” I paused, “I don’t think I would win this.”
“Don’t give up now. Giving up is like losing, and I don’t want a loser on my time,” He said angrily, “Now you get out there and win this Parker. It’s your time to shine.”
“Look at the crowd Parker they want you to win,” Lauryn said smiling, “Parker I’m sure you can do this. You always win. You never lose at anything.”
She didn’t understand why I didn’t want to be here. It wasn’t because I was nervous. It was because one important person is missing in that crowd besides my mother but my father. His work was more important and I’m sure he wouldn’t want to be here anyway.
“Are you okay Parker?” Lauryn asked.
I lied nodding, “I’m…Fine.”
“Great now go out there and win that game!” She encouraged.
“You can do this boy. You can when this,” Coach whispered, “Don’t give up. It doesn’t matter if you lose just go out there and show what you can do.”
I don’t believe. I can’t believe. My father doesn’t even know I love to run. Personally he doesn’t want me to be a runner. He wants me to be a lawyer more like him. I don’t. I want to be a runner. I want to be a runner.
“Okay Coach,” I said before drinking the bottle of water.
After I was done I jogged to the starting line beside my two competitors.
“Hey Parker where’s your daddy?” A familiar voice asked.
I looked over to see William my elementary, middle school, next in line my high school enemy.
“Doing his job.” I mumbled.
“Leave him alone,” Ali said.
“Kim I’m okay now go away,” I said angrily.
“I was just trying to help,”.
“I don’t need your help,” I argued.
“Don’t confuse me with dad,” she said before walking away.
Ali was my little sister. Sixteen years old. She stood up for me but I didn’t want her too. I wanted to do things on my own.
“Runners in place?” The director asked.
“Place,” The man said.
I bend down in my running position. My hands were shivering with sweat.
“Go!”
I took off fast. Running and running. The wind ran through my mind. Whispering to me, “Parker what about your dad.” I kept running and running. “Parker what about your life, your future this is all a waste of time.” “You’re going to be a lawyer.”
“No, I won’t,” I said as I ran.
I ran through the finish line first place. My legs were aching. My mother came running hugging me tight. I hugged her back and looked up to see my dad. He looked disappointed. Angry was written all over his face.
“Parker why are you doing this?” He asked.
“It’s my passion and it’s my dream,” I said, “And you’re not going to take it away from me.”
“No, this is a waste of your time and a waste of your future. You’re going to be what I want you to be,” My said angrily pointing his finger in my face.
“I’m a runner. And will always be a runner. No matter where life takes me but I will keep on running,” I said confidently, “Dad running is my passion and running makes me feel free.”

This is about a child not giving up on his future no matter what. He is just keep running just to get away from his problems. His dad wants him to be a lawyer but he refuses. This is a moment between a dad and his son. Think about what will happen next.