Rejected | Teen Ink

Rejected

February 9, 2008
By Anonymous

Hello, I’m Krystal Perelli, but most people call me Kris. I live in a small town where no one around here really goes to college. I really want to go, but my grades can’t get me anywhere far. I have applied to 10 colleges last month and I’m still waiting. My parents just tell me to forget about college and work at a grocery store.
I go to Bellmonte High School where the kids can be cruel if you get in there way. That’s why I only hang around two people, Ellen Malafronte and Sharon Stokes. They are both seniors like me, but they are really smart and have been selected to many colleges. You may wonder how come that intelligence hasn’t rubbed off on me. I don’t know why, I guess I need more focus.

I scored a 450 on my SAT’s, that’s horrible. What college would accept a loser like me; I have nothing to offer them. I am at lunch now with Ellen and Sharon.

“Hey, Sharon and Kris.”

“Hey”, said the girls.

“Kris did you hear from any college yet.” said Ellen.

“No, I don’t think anyone’s going to accept me with my grades.”

“Cheer up; someone’s bound to accept you.”

“That’s easy for you to say, you have high SAT scores.”

“Kris, grades aren’t everything. Colleges look at more than just that.”

“I don’t have much going for myself out here in the middle of nowhere.”

“Of course you do, you play softball that’s a great sport.”

“We never won a game.”

“At least your one of the best players.”

“Yeah right. I can’t even hit the ball; I just play to have something to do after school.”

“I believe in you and colleges love students who play a sport.”

“I’m done eating; I have to get ready to fail another test. See you later.”

I decide I’m going to skip my English test and just leave school. I’ll just tell my parents I had early dismissal, they’ll believe me. I arrive home and get the mail on the counter. It’s a letter and I didn’t get accepted, as usual. I guess I will be working at a grocery store after all. It sucks how my friends know where they are going to college and I don’t.

It’s a Saturday morning and Graduation is in a week and I don’t know what I’ll be doing in September. I’ll apply to Sally’s Market as soon as I can. I guess I was just born a loser. I get out of my bed to do my Saturday routine. I eat breakfast, brush my teeth, and then plan to watch television for the rest of the day. My mom yells to me, “You got mail from another college Krystal.”

I am not interested, I’m sick of being depressed over colleges, but I’ll go get the mail anyways. I open the envelope and it’s from my favorite college, Southport University. It says,
Dear Krystal Perelli,
Congratulations! We are happy to inform you that you have been accepted to Southport University. I hope that you decide to come to our University. We would love to have you. Please get in touch with us as soon as you receive this letter.









Sincerely,





















Director of Admissions

Wow, I can’t believe a college really wants me. I suppose my dreams can come true. I guess I can become the Lawyer I’ve always wanted to be. My life won’t be wasted working in some grocery store after all. I did it! I’m not a loser.