In a Moment's Time | Teen Ink

In a Moment's Time

January 27, 2008
By Anonymous

She ran quickly through the empty street passing by various buildings, trees, signs, and other structures but none of this registered to her; she was in a daze. A blur of color was all she saw. Lights flashed around her, but her thoughts were elsewhere. They were not on the chill that the incessant rain brought with each droplet’s fall on her already damp forehead. They were not on the ever setting sun that would inevitably disappear behind the horizon. They were even ignorant to the thunder that continued to shock the earth beneath her feet. They were a jumble of mass chaos. She had been in this state for an unknown amount of time.
Her mind wandered to the events that had just transpired; the events that would forever haunt her…
“Come on we’re going to be late!” She yelled sternly.
“I don’t want to go! It’s too cold outside.” A young voice complained.
“Unless you want your teeth to turn black and fall out then you’re going. Get the umbrella while you’re at it.”
“FINE!”

She shook her head. She couldn’t think about it. There wasn’t a point. The thunder struck again, closer to her body, but she didn’t move or attempt to avoid it. She felt a shock surge through her, but still continued on her aimless journey.

“Are we there yet?!” The young voice complained.
“Almost.”
“I don’t even want to go!”
“Too bad.” Her amused voice replied.

This wasn’t going to change anything. She couldn’t undo the past, but where could she go now? Was there a place that she would ever feel safe? Would the guilt ever disappear?

“Hey, what is that?”
“What is what?” Her distracted voice replied from her bent over position as she retrieved her fallen hair clip, with one hand on the wheel.
“WATCH OUT!”
A screech could be heard and then all went still.

Don’t look back, don’t look back… She thought repetitively. Whatever lay ahead could not possibly be worse than what lay behind.
All she could hear in the otherwise dead street was the small stomp of her feet hitting the already shaking ground. As she proceeded, her footfalls became more apparent. The noise augmented and her blurry haze intensified. The world spun around her. The sky somehow brightened behind the clouds. The thunder continued its roar. An electric shock made contact with her numb body. She shook uncontrollably. Her eyes rolled back slightly from the painful strike. She waited for the inevitable darkness to take hold. It didn’t come, instead the light intensified. Panicked voices became apparent. Screaming. Crying. Fighting. Then a calming voice interjected. It comforted her despite her perilous predicament. But then, without warning the darkness did envelope her, but oddly enough this wasn’t unbidden. At the moment, nothing could be more welcome…