Alone With Secrets | Teen Ink

Alone With Secrets

By SlamMyPoetry GOLD, Lexington, Kentucky
SlamMyPoetry GOLD, Lexington, Kentucky

"Death is the greatest form of love."-Charles Manson

I was on my way to the baker, because you have to have bread with dinner, when he walked down the way. I knew without a shadow of a doubt it was him, The Great Bonsai.

When he passed, he looked dead in my eyes. When he did, I thought I saw a twinkle in his, though I did not know what the twinkle signified. As he swept by, peculiar warmth radiated from his skin. I almost followed but caught myself and kept walking.

I walked in just as Reginald was finishing with another customer.

“Hey, Reginald. How’s it going?” I asked.

“Same as usual, but better now that someone as pretty as you has come into the shop,” Reginald flirted.

“Now, Reggie, stop it. I need a loaf of bread please. We are having company over, so can I get a fresh one?”

“Sure, doll, no problem.” Reginald walked into the back and I heard him throw a pan into the oven.

“It’ll be about 20 minutes, Aradia,” Reginald said as he walked into the front.

“That’s fine. Hey, did you see Bonsai pass, right before I got in here?” I shuddered slightly at the memory.

“Yep, and I saw you two exchange glances. You could feel the electricity in the air,” he teased.

“Oh, stop,” I swatted at him. “He probably doesn’t even know my name.”

“Darling, there’s not a person on this tree who doesn’t know your name.”

“Stop exaggerating. Not everyone knows my name.”

“Well, Bonsai knows. But I wouldn’t even talk to him if I was you.”

“Why not?

“Well, I’ve heard rumors lately that he’s been getting with that with, Lilith Adair, up in the Spire.”

“No way! Bonsai would never do that!” I exclaimed.

“Let’s hope not.”

Quite soon my bread was ready and I bid Reginald goodbye.

“You watch out for him now.” He warned yet again. I just waved him away as I walked out the door.

The day had turned dreary, with the promise of rain. I cursed the clouds as I soon felt the patter of rain on my head. The way was seemingly empty of all but me, so I walked along slowly, with nothing but time to pass.

I did not even feel his presence until he drug me under an awning.

“What the he--“I began before I saw who it was that had grabbed me.

“Oh, um, um…”I said brilliantly. I felt his warmth again, only more this time because he wasn’t any more than 3 inches away from me.

“Aradia.” He said my name as though it was a delectable cake, teasing his lips. I was too taken away to speak.

“We must talk,” Bonsai said with, yet again, that sultry voice.

“Yes, my leader,” my polite tone kicked in.

“I’m sure you’ve heard rumors about me lately,” he raised his eyebrows at me, I shivered in response, “but, I can assure you, they most certainly are not true.”

“I would not think such,” I shifted slightly.

“You have been warned against me, have you not?” I nodded. “Well, I say you heed such advice. I have only come to give you some information.”

“Yes, my leader?” I held my breath in anticipation.

“Well, I came to say…. Lilith Adair is your godmother.”

I was speechless. Then I found my voice.

“You have to be joking! That’s impossible! My parents never knew that woman!” I yelled at The Great Bonsai.

“It is true. I am sorry to tell you, but you must know.” He walked away with these last words.

I stood there but only for a moment. Then I ran home to my aunt and her dinner party. I didn’t tell her, but the words brewed inside me for the entire night. Then I made a decision. I would visit Lilith Adair.

This is a short story I wrote about a character I created for my Creative Writing class. Her name is Aradia Fire Spark. Comments please?