Afterwards | Teen Ink

Afterwards

By Rodriguez-Benetez BRONZE, Auburndale, Florida
Rodriguez-Benetez BRONZE, Auburndale, Florida

How do you live your life when no ones watching?

"Darien!" I look up and see Selena running towards me. Shocked, I get up and head toward her. We embrace each other for a couple of minutes and awkwardly pull apart.
"Nice to finally see someone alive." She says."Yeah, same here." I say rubbing the back of my head. "It's a miracle we're alive." She says sitting on the bleachers. We stay in silence for awhile.
"You know that it's kinda ironic that ME and YOU were the only ones to survive." She says.
"Seeing how it was just a week ago when I was telling you why I liked you. I mean how can we be the only ones alive?"
"I really don't know. It is crazy though." I say sitting next her. "I don't know anything, I don't know what to do." "You have to survive, I mean it's the only thing you can do really." She says moving closer to me.
"How am I suppost to try to survive after all of this, there's nothing here but rubble." I say putting my head in my hands.
"We'll survive just like we did before, just without our friends and family." She says voice cracking on the last word.
"If you would like, we can help each other." She says, standing up.
Looking up at her I say "I would like that, where do we start?" I ask joining her. She smiles. "We start by finding a place to stay for the night." She says heading towards the door.
"We can stay in the gym." I say stopping her in her tracks. "I don't know about you, but I'd rather stay in a warm bed than on a cold floor. Are you coming or not?" She say walking again. "I'm coming." I say catching up to her. "There's a white house across the street that's not destroyed, We'll stay there for tonight..."

This is a piece from a book i am currently working, I hope you like it!