The Grets | Teen Ink

The Grets

The creatures stirred as if they had a mind of their own. Only a glass wall separated them from the scientists studying them. The creatures looked like huge worms; only they varied in color and size. Some were blue and small, while others were red and big. They had circular mouths with several rows of sharp teeth and small holes where their noses and ears should have been.

Through the many months of observation, they realized that they doubled in size every few months. Some were getting to be too big for the glass room. The scientists bean to fear that they would soon lose control of the creatures. Only one scientist didn’t want to leave.

His name was Bill Scottsley. He was thirty-six and had short dark-brown hair. He had stubble on the side of his face and on his chin and neck. He was about five feet and ten inches. He had a wife named Christy who was thirty-five and had long blonde hair, and two sons. The oldest was Jarred, age twelve, and had brown hair. He was short and about two inches shorter than his younger brother Tanner. Tanner was ten years old and had blonde hair and was about five feet four inches.

Everyday, Bill would go home, pretending that he worked as a contractor. Christy was a lawyer and Jarred and Tanner were always getting in trouble at school but somehow got good grades. The scientists were hired by an unknown company. They were told that if they worked for them, that their annual pay would be doubled. When Bill resent the message with a reply, they sent him the address of the laboratory that he would be working at for the rest of his life.

The scientists were then told that they had to keep this place a secret. Telling anybody would be breaking a federal law and be put in jail. So, the scientists worked in silence, fearing that the walls had ‘ears’ (meaning, vocal sensors). They would day in and day out, looking at the creatures and writing down what they saw. Then one day, a man by the name of John Cane was arrested, his family was told that he was in an accident was missing. The scientists knew what really happened, and Bill knew why.

Scott was seen writing a letter in code to his wife about what was happening. When another scientist came over, the person knew what it was, and notified the company. That person got huge pay raise, but was hated by everyone there. Scott was never seen or heard from again.

After that, Bill started having secret meetings with the other scientists outside of work. They would talk about why them, and what they were supposed to be doing.

“So, how are we supposed to die with this secret? Also, what’s going to happen if they break out of that glass room?” Bill asked.

“I don’t know. What I do know is that I don’t want to stay there anymore.” Another scientist with fear in his voice.

They did not know that tomorrow, Bill’s question would answered in the worst way possible.

Bill, got in his car, and headed for the lab. He couldn’t forget what they had talked about last night. He knew that he didn’t want to be in this situation either, but what could he do? He didn’t have an answer for anything; he just knew that something had to be done soon.