Wedding Anniversary | Teen Ink

Wedding Anniversary

January 24, 2008
By Anonymous

When I got home I saw my husband lying on the red couch with a bottle of Absolut in his hand. He was half asleep in front of the T.V., which was very loud. He was drunk as usual. I was really enraged because it was our wedding anniversary. He was drunk and sleeping on the couch at five o’clock in the afternoon of out fifth wedding anniversary!
“Wake up you moron!” I shouted. He slowly opened his eyes. Oh god, he was so pathetic!
“What do you want?” he asked.
“Do you know what this day is? This is our anniversary day but of course you didn’t remember because you were too busy with getting drunk. You know what? I’m sick of you! Ever since the day you lost your job two months ago, you have been doing nothing but drinking! You’re doing the same things every single day; your life is getting monotonous. You have inherited your father’s laziness and his loser soul. Now I understand why your mother left him!
He looked at me with anger and in two shakes of a lamb’s tail he grabbed me from my shoulders, pushed me to the wall.
“Listen to me! Do you really think that this is how I want to be? How I want to spend the rest of my life? NO! One stupid, little counting mistake cost me my job! Everyone can make mistakes but you and your world wants everything to be perfect don’t you? I’m not perfect! No one is! I don’t belong here, to this world…” He took a deep breath and continued,
“I know what this day is; in fact I went out to buy you a gift this morning but I was so drunk… I fell asleep while driving and didn’t move the car in green light but other two cars behind me did. They bumped into each other! I caused a terrible accident! So don’t tell me that I’m a bad husband and you weren’t a good wife either in these couple of months. When I lost my job you didn’t even say that it wasn’t my fault. All you did was trying to provoke me into thinking seriously to get some help from a rehab center. I don’t need a doctor’s help and I certainly don’t need yours!”
“Enough!” I screamed. He let me go. I sat on the floor, watched him packing up his things. I was scared and feeling like I was about to lose my mind! He was certainly leaving this time. Suddenly I felt something that I hadn’t felt for a very long time and it was love.
“Don’t go! Don’t you walk out that door!” I ran to him and hugged him tight.
“You’re still that crazy-sweet woman that I fell in love with.” he said.
“Let’s not fight anymore! It just isn’t worth it.” I said. We stood there for almost an hour and have stayed together happily for twelve years now.