The Alcoholic and the Honor Roll Student | Teen Ink

The Alcoholic and the Honor Roll Student

March 12, 2012
By Stetson BRONZE, Meidian, Idaho
Stetson BRONZE, Meidian, Idaho
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

It all started in the afternoon of January 3rd, I was getting ready to head out the door and head to school. But I heard a loud crash and I instantly knew that my father Richard was already drunk and had fallen down into the basement I ran to the basement door and saw my mangled father laying on the bottom of the stairs I asked if he was okay, no response. I called 911 and they had an ambulance to the house in about 5 minutes, I watched my father be carried out of the house on a piece of wood and set in the back of the ambulance I got into my car and went to school oh and my names George i’m 6'2' an honor roll student and drive a 1969 Camaro RS. After I got to school I went into the office and told them I wasn't going to be at school for the first 2 periods they told me that was fine and let me go on my way. I left the school and headed straight for the hospital to go see my drunk most likely passed out father. I got there and to my surprise he was standing in front of the hospital waiting for me to come pick him up so I picked him up and I drove home and hungout with my dad the rest of the day. A few days passed and it was going well with my dad recovering from falling down the stairs and I also decided for his sake and mine to get him into a rational recovery class for raging alcoholics. He went a few times and said it was helping, but when I went out to my car I notice a brown bottle sticking out of the trash, I took it out and looked at it, it was a beer bottle I took it inside and went directly to where my dad was watching T.V. and asked him where this came from he told me he had been hoarding beer bottles and didn’t want to throw them away and just wanted to keep them as a keep sake. I asked him are you sure you are doing that or do I need to worry that your sneaking beer when I’m not looking. He said I didn’t need to worry about him drinking anymore and that he had quit drinking and was a new man and was going to be sober I said okay and headed off to school. It was a pretty good day, but when I got home I noticed a cop car sitting in front of the house. I parked in the drive way and went inside Richard was sitting down in the recliner with handcuffs behind his back and the officer sitting right across from him. I asked what had happened and the officer said that he had thrown a 2x4 at the neighbor, I left.