Sifting Through | Teen Ink

Sifting Through

March 8, 2012
By Anonymous

"My dear friend, no."

I silently turn my head, tears falling. Through my blurry eyes an obscure vision of the Crimson Lady leans in to me, close to my ear. Her words are crisp, but strained.

"Not time, not time. But soon."

Then she dissipates into a misty spray of liquid light. I agree. I cannot condemn the world on behalf of my own miserable troubles. The Crimson Lady's last two words console me, though: But soon. Soon was better than nothing.


I am a ghost - wait, that came out wrong. Do over.

I am a spirit, clinging to the mortal boundaries of this Realm, seeing without interaction. I have never been alive; I have never died. I am simply a sentient mind, floating through this world, observing and waiting. I have one purpose - to choose the time to begin Armageddon. Not an easy job, not a simple task.

The Crimson Lady keeps me company, trickling her consciousness into my view, actually talking to me. She appears as a woman much like the ones I observe in your perceived realm; tall, fair, blue-eyed. Deep, intent blue-eyes full of knowledge. She has no name, but I call her the Crimson Lady for she wears a dress of blood, weaved by the shed blood of many men.

When is it time? So hard, so complicated. The world is turning to turmoil. It is slowly twisting into a hellhole. I doubt its conditions can improve; it is torturing itself. The hearts of men are kind but they are not doing themselves a favor. Oh, but it isn't only humanity that is dealing the pain. I can sense as the Sun slowly swells, ebbs and grows, shoots off heavenly jets of flames that we refer to as flares. The planets line up for a new age; signaling years of catastrophe. Tiny cycles tipped off of balance. Little things off. A drop of water creates a great storm. An asteroid gently tugs with its gravitational power, causing the slightest change in the atmosphere, heralding the deaths of thousands of creatures. Is it not time to end it? Is it not time to end it all?

The Crimson Lady senses my troubled thoughts, appears to me. "Do not weep, child. You are young. You do not know."

"I know enough. I know enough that I cannot wait as the world dies. I cannot allow it to grow old with me."

Her eyes are wise; all-knowing, powerful. Is she a god? "As always, it is your choice. But it is not the time."

I turn back to look at the catastrophe I see on the lonely planet. Wars. Death. Nuclear weapons only mean for God to wield. Global warming. "I know it is; I do. However, your judgement supersedes my knowledge - I shall wait."

The Crimson Lady disappears again, and I watch. And watch.

What use is watching when you may have to be patient for an forever?


The author's comments:
I had a sudden inspiration, "sifting through" the writings of teenink. It's short, but detailed and to the point. Hope you like it!