Living the Life of Lawson | Teen Ink

Living the Life of Lawson

Life as a pre-teenager can be a lot to handle. Adults always tell me that childhood ends quickly and that I am so lucky to be young, but me just want it to end. My life is like a prison that I can never escape from. Parents can be a burden, teachers always on your case, and friends make problems that are blown out of proportion. My name is Lawson Moore but most people call me Adam since I didn’t like my birth name. I am a ninth grade student at McKinley High School in San Diego. I have a brother, one step-brother and one step-sister. My mom and dad divorced two years ago, and four months ago my dad got remarried. I live with my mom in a townhouse in San Diego, California. My dad lives in a big mansion in Santa Barbara, California.
Today, I start my first day of ninth grade, and I don’t know what would have happened. I picked out an old pair of jeans and a hammy-down T-shirt. My family couldn’t afford new clothes so I got hand-me-downs from my brother and the other boys on the block. I stood in front of the mirror and starred at myself. I was 5’7, brown hair, blue eyed, skinny boy which a few freckles on my face. My skin was a white with a couple freckles here and there. I had short hair and a round shaped head. “Today’s is the first day of school. Are you excited?” said my mom. “Not really, school is school and it is never going to change,” I said, “I need three dollars for lunch.” “Ohm….ummm. I made you lunch so you don’t have to stand in the long lunch line. Hurry, or you will miss the bus,” said my mom. I knew why my mom couldn’t give me money for school today. Money has been tight since the divorce, and my mom already has two jobs trying to pay all the bills. I heard the loud sounds of car alarms, buses, people on their cell phones and car horns honking every second. I walk, seeing all the children running around acting as if school were as invigorating as winning the lottery. As I was approaching the bus stop, I saw the bus starting to pull up. I ran frantically to the bus hoping I would not miss like I did on my first day of eighth grade. “I wonder if I’ll miss the bus, and get a detention like last year.” I waved his hand rapidly trying to signal to the bus driver to stop the bus. I sprinted to the bus and finally got on. I ran up the three steps, faced all the seats, took a sigh of relief and sat down. My best friend Mike was sitting in the back seat. I sat next to him and we talked about how fun summer was and how school was going to be really boring. When we got off the bus, I felt like the school has changed but it probably didn’t. The black, dirty, stone walls still stood their, and the concrete recess yard was still there. The black colored fences that surrounded the property and guarded the school area from the outside world. I stood at the double doors thinking this year will be better than all others. As I walked through the hallway to my locker, a commotion on the other end of the hall had formed. Two students started to get into a physical fight over something that was said by one of the fighters. As the angry principal came stampeding down the hallway, the fight had been broken up and everyone had dispersed, continuing along like nothing had happened. My first class was English and it was on the second floor in room 233. I wondered around the school, hoping I would not miss class. When I heard the warning bell, I quickly started running and finally found my first class. During class, I started dozing off because I was so tired and bored. After English, I went straight to the fields for gym class. We were told to run 10 laps around the field and then we played dodge ball. Dodge ball was never my favorite game because I could run and dodge but I couldn’t throw. After gym I went to History and Math which were equally boring as English. Before I knew it, the fifth period bell rang and I went to the cafeteria for lunch. The students were a heard of animals stampeding to be first in line for food. I decided to sit with my friends Mike and Greg since I they were the only people I knew in this lunch. During lunch I saw Cassie Michaels who I have liked since she came in eighth grade. When I started to talk to here, my voice cracked out of the blue. I was so embarrassed that I said “I had to go” and I went straight back to my lunch table. After lunch, the day flew by until the final bell rang.
After school, I went to soccer practice and then walked home. As I unlocked the front door of my house, I through my bags on the floor and went into the kitchen because I was so hungry I could eat a horse. In the cabinets, there was only a half eaten bag of chips and a bag of stale hot dog rolls. Shortly after I started eating the chips, my mom came in and called me in, sounding very distressed. I ran into the family room and she told me about a court case coming up. She said my dad was going to court to gain for full custody of me.
I stood there being very confused. I haven’t seen my dad in two years since he married my step mom, and received a prestigious job in my step-grandfather’s real estate company. My brother didn’t have to worry because he was 18 and wasn’t a minor. I wish I could talk to my brother but he is out every night up to no good. I went to at my room contemplating was going to my room while a song called Freedom Park sang by a band called Marah. Listening to the song, I remembered when I heard this song at an amusement park when I felt happy because I felt carefree and a sense of freedom from life when my brother and I could go into the park by ourselves. Although the song was upbeat, I still couldn’t take my mind off my troubles. When I woke up, I smelled the aroma of bacon cooking in the kitchen. I got dressed for school, brushed me teeth and went into the kitchen. “How did you sleep,” my mom asked. “Good, I guess.” I replied. “Your father is coming over tonight so hurry home from practice,” said my mom. “Ok. Should I clean the dishes since you cooked?” I said. “No. Go to school. I will clean the dishes.” I knew by the sadness in my mom’s voice that she was ready to burst out crying but never seemed to ever show a sign of weakness or vulnerability. I started walking fast to the bus so I wouldn’t have to rush like the day before. After I entered the bus and arrived at school. I went to my first class, English. Today was surprisingly exciting since we had a substitute teacher. All we did for 45 minutes was talk to one another. During gym, the teacher said we got to play floor hockey in the gym which was favorite game to play in physical education. After gym class, I went to History and math which were fun because we got to do group worksheets and didn’t have to listen to the teacher give a lecture. During lunch, they were giving free pizza, which they do once every semester. I went up to Cassie Michaels and I embarrassing happened. She even agreed to go to the movies this weekend with me. After my last class, I went to soccer, where my coach said I was going to start the first part of the big game Friday. I ran home ,thinking nothing could put down today. When I saw the Cadillac XLR Roadster, I became deeply depressed feeling if a black cloud had appeared over my head. I knew my dad was here and that did not excite me. I went up the front stairs and into the house to the family room. “What’s, dude. What’s going on,” said my dad. “Nothing much dude? I had soccer practice today so I should probably get a shower,” I said. “Sit down, I can’t stay to long and we need to talk,” replied my dad. “Come sit, Lawson.” I sat on the chair and my mother looked like she was about to breakdown in tears while my step-mother starred into space. “I know you know about the court date that is coming up but I don’t want you to think I am trying to come and take you away from your mom,” said my dad. “Then why are you going through with this. We were doing just fine and now your trying to ruin my uproot my life,” I scolded. “Don’t raise your voice at me. I am not here for a fight. I wanted to ask you to come with your stepmother and me to Santa Barbara instead of going through court. Santa Barbara has one of the top private schools in the California. Think of it as a new adventure,” my father lectured. “I don’t want to go,” I replied, “my life is here and mom is here. Sorry but I’m not going and there’s nothing to discuss.” I boldly replied. “Very well, let’s go Megan. Bye Mary-Anne, I’ll see you in court. Goodbye Adam, if you change your mind call me, I will be here for two days.” said my dad as he left. “That wasn’t very eventful conversation was it?” I announced. “I need to tell you something,” said my mother, “You know money has been tight lately and I can barely afford to feed you. I can’t afford to keep the house, buy you new clothes and I can’t afford to go to court.” I don’t want you to see me as the daughter of Judas but this is the only way,” proclaimed my mom. “You want me to go with dad and move to Santa Barbara.” I said quietly. My mother gave me a nod to signify a “yes”.
Two weeks later, the cab arrived for me to go to the airport. I carried my bags to the car and placed them in the back seat. I said goodbye to my mom and my brother Dan who stayed home that night to help me pack the rest of my clothes. I looked at the old, run-down and shabby `townhouse thinking even though it wasn’t the nicest place to live, it was still home. I got into the cab and told him to go to the airport. As we drove away, I looked out the back window starring at my mom. As I waved goodbye, she finally couldn’t hold her sadness back. The tears came streaming down here face like a river that would never stop.