Taking a Chance | Teen Ink

Taking a Chance

He slowly strolled up to the group of friends I had been talking with. His golden blonde hair could be seen from under a cap he wore. The sight of him made my heart beat rapidly increase. Needless to say he occupied my full attention. He raised his arms high above his head and waved them back and forth in a playful motion. I raised my hand slightly and waved uncertain that it was directed to me.

“I have something to tell you,” He called still a dissent distance away.

“Me?” I asked in a squeaking voice.
He nodded.
I could feel my heart as it skipped a beat. Could this be it? I thought to myself, has he finally noticed me?
The difference in our height became more noticeable as I took a few steps closer. When I got to where he was standing we were no longer in ear rang of my friends. He leaned in closer to me. I took a deep breath preparing myself for what he might say. His cologne was a musky man sent that went along with his look. Then his hands moved slowly toward me as though time itself had stopped. He gave me a rough friendly hug that was something I wasn’t prepared for. The force knocked me off balance. He began laughing as I hit the ground.
“Nice one.”
My head was spinning from the slight fall I had taken. I put my hand to my head in an attempt to stop the world around me from spinning. When everything around me had calmed down and the laughter had finally stopped. I found myself sprawled out at his feet. My face grew red.
He stretched his hand out. “Are you alright?”
“Yeah” I said as I gladly took his hand. Brushed the hair out of my face and fixed the positioning of my skirt. “So what did you need?”
“Oh,” He said as though he had forgotten he even called me over. “nothing really.”
Not this again. I thought, becoming slightly angry. He has been doing this a lot lately. I sighed. I guess he doesn’t like me.
“What’s wrong?” He asked, unable to hide his curiosity.
“It’s nothing” I told.
“Ok,” He said unsure ness leaking out of his deep ocean blue eyes. “if you say so.” He turned to walk away.
I could have professed my love on a bathroom stall for all to read. All the girls would gossip about my feelings. Still he would stay ignorant about it. Saying it was a mistake that someone else must have put it there. Honestly I would never be able to do something like that. I could never put my heart on my sleeve like that. Although maybe it really is worth it to take that risk and tell people how you are feeling. If you don’t tell people what you’re feeling then you will always be alone.
“Hey wait” I said running after him. “I really like you.” My face started growing red.