Remembrance | Teen Ink

Remembrance

April 1, 2008
By Anonymous

Lazily, I lay in the empty field. Nothing but the wind and the tall grass, crunchy and yellow. Nobody had come since two weeks ago. I am lonely once again. Suddenly, there was a rustle behind my rickety wing. It was my owner; I recognized his raspy voice. He was talking to a tall man. They were talking about a plan as if it was an F.B.I case. They hopped into the front seat and started my engine. My whole body rumbled and grumbled. The date, September eleventh two-thousand-one, is a day I'll never forget.

It had been three hours since I started my adventure. Oil was being drained from my system. The exhaustion wave had already hit, it was just growing stronger now. I could finally see land ahead of me. After hours of just water below me, land and people were refreshing to see. I was being lowered by my owner, slowly I was falling. I needed a rest, I was glad we were landing. We were still flying extremely low. I could even hear the sounds of the city below me; this wasn't good. Tall buildings were left and right. One was growing close, dangerously close. We kept going, we needed to stop. We needed to land, we needed to evacuate. I tried with all my might to turn around. My muscles tightening as I try to jerk away. I was out of luck though, we were going to crash.

It had been twenty minutes since the crash. Shouting, they were running every which way. Smoke rose from the surface of the building. Sirens roaring, everybody screamed. Every inch of my body hurt. The impact of the building was indescribable.

My owner was surely dead, there is no way he could have survived. Didn't he see the building coming towards us? Didn't he try to steer the other way? Stretchers were being carried from inside the building to the ambulances outside on the sidewalk. Why would he crash us like that? Didn't he think of the other people? I heard a loud shriek from the distance. I also heard someone yell, “It's falling down!”
The building I had crashed into was now falling down. Gradually falling, killing everybody that got in its way. This was all my fault. If I didn't crash, everything would be at peace. Nobody would have to be the victim. Slowly falling forward, the building began to collapse. Thousands of bodies lay motionless in the streets as pieces of building lay upon them. Everything was covered in smoke, I couldn't see a thing. I could make out one thing though; an American flag standing in the distance. Waving as the wind gently glided it left and right. I had broken America.