I Was Surrounded by Clothes | Teen Ink

I Was Surrounded by Clothes

March 22, 2008
By Anonymous

I was surrounded by clothes, shoes, and the teddy bear I had lost three weeks before. Its eyes were staring strait ahead at the door. I felt jealous of this teddy bear, that he couldn’t fear. I could feel sweat running down my face. It was hot in the tiny closet but I couldn’t open the doors no matter how hot it became. They might find me if I did. I had to just sit here doing nothing, making not a single noise. My heart was beating so loud that I thought someone it would surely lead them right to me. Then I heard it, the door to the room opened. I slowly and quietly stepped back behind the hanging clothes, and as far as I could in the closet before I felt the wall behind me. I could hear his footsteps as he walked to the opposite side of the room and I wondered if he had caught the others and what had happened to them. I held my breath as the footsteps came closer and closer till they were right outside the closet door. The door slowly opened. Please don’t let him see me through the clothes. I thought to myself. Then all the sudden, an arm appeared through the clothes a little to my left, and started making its way towards me. The hand grabbed my arm. I was caught. I tried not making a noise and standing still and stiff, maybe he would think it was a shelf or something and move on. But I didn’t get that lucky.
“Tag! You’re it now, Jeremy.” Ben said, laughing as his whole body appeared through the clothes.
“Aw, but I hate being it! All that counting! It’s awful, can’t you be it again Ben?” I complained and begged to him,. But he just smiled.
“Live with it.” He said. Ben never was the boy to go to for sympathy. “The base is the big table outside, the others are still hiding, start counting Jeremy.” Before I could complain more then I already had Ben started running to the next room to find a place to hide.