Seasons | Teen Ink

Seasons MAG

She is his summer and she loves him 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 58 seconds a day. She loves him constantly, except for those moments when she lies back on the grass and watches him dance as the sun goes down. Then she knows that she is only his summer and he is not her fore­ver. She ­doesn’t love him then.

But then two heartbeats pass and he turns and smiles, and she loves him again. And for another day she can forget that he is just her present.

It’s a childish love, and she knows this. A love made of fierce blushes and tickle fights and kisses in the rain can’t possibly last past September, and she knows this too. She whispers words into his ear as they lie under the stars – words like ­tomorrow or sweet or hold me closer, not words like never or ­always or forever, ­because words like that last too long and permanency holds no place in summer.

He tells her that she’s like summer – ­sunlight and freedom and … he falters here. Temporary? she thinks but does not say it.

She is only his summer and knows she will fade come fall, but she remembers this only for two seconds a day.

***

“Fall’s coming,” he says one day midway through August, and dangles his legs because he’s ­uneasy.

She doesn’t reply, just closes her eyes and clings to him as the seasons spin around them.

Kzehr said...
on Nov. 15 2011 at 10:13 pm
Kzehr, Castorland, New York

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself." Harvey S. Firestone

Beautiful piece, so happy but so sad, keep writing its very good!

Nicegirl82 said...
on Aug. 25 2009 at 9:03 pm
I loved it!!! completely and totally loved it. wish it were longer just because i liked it so much.

******

Madelyn BRONZE said...
on May. 14 2009 at 7:00 pm
Madelyn BRONZE, Longmont, Colorado
Its beautiful! I really love how descriptive it is, and it really is down to the point. Its gorgeous! <3

on May. 1 2009 at 9:42 pm
MusicL0v3r28 GOLD, Forks, Pennsylvania
This is truely beautiful. The feelings she has for him. The emotion. I applaud you all the way.

on Apr. 19 2009 at 1:18 am
that was to the point, not ramble-ing like almost everything else on this site. It was really good.

on Apr. 5 2009 at 10:30 pm
yourworstnightmare BRONZE, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. (Teddy Roosevelt)

this was beautiful, and you got right to the point.

on Feb. 17 2009 at 12:34 am
oh my gosh. i know exactly how that feels! I felt like crying while reading this.

Anjagirl said...
on Jan. 2 2009 at 7:33 pm
It describes real feelings the quick love of a personb but without really knowing them and when the qick feeling is gone you do not have anything to keep you together. Great jo

iks32. said...
on Dec. 19 2008 at 11:08 pm
i really liked this it was awesome

GrnFuture57 said...
on Dec. 18 2008 at 10:13 pm
You just got to the point. And its a tough point to just get down to. Thumbs up.

mallygirl91 said...
on Nov. 25 2008 at 2:53 pm
i love it!it describes teenage relationships so well.

SN said...
on Oct. 17 2008 at 1:30 am
Love it. It is very real.

mchew said...
on Oct. 6 2008 at 6:44 pm
great job. a beautiful story that is totally relatable

sarah4 said...
on Oct. 6 2008 at 1:30 pm
This is why I'm afraid to date too! Beautiful and poetic, real and yet dreamilke. Good work.

on Sep. 25 2008 at 12:56 am
This is why I'm afraid to date people(LOL)! This story is really true and well written. It's more like a poem than a short story... good job!

GeorgiaMomma said...
on Sep. 19 2008 at 7:53 pm
Awh!! It's sweet.

nookiesayshi said...
on Sep. 17 2008 at 9:45 pm
i like it very muchh...

finally someone who understands the meainng of true love lol

on Sep. 12 2008 at 9:46 pm
i like it =)

miss.bliss1 said...
on Sep. 10 2008 at 7:46 pm
Beautiful..simplistic and beautiful.