Seasons This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

She is his summer and she loves him 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 58 seconds a day. She loves him constantly, except for those moments when she lies back on the grass and watches him dance as the sun goes down. Then she knows that she is only his summer and he is not her fore­ver. She ­doesn’t love him then.

But then two heartbeats pass and he turns and smiles, and she loves him again. And for another day she can forget that he is just her present.

It’s a childish love, and she knows this. A love made of fierce blushes and tickle fights and kisses in the rain can’t possibly last past September, and she knows this too. She whispers words into his ear as they lie under the stars – words like ­tomorrow or sweet or hold me closer, not words like never or ­always or forever, ­because words like that last too long and permanency holds no place in summer.

He tells her that she’s like summer – ­sunlight and freedom and … he falters here. Temporary? she thinks but does not say it.

She is only his summer and knows she will fade come fall, but she remembers this only for two seconds a day.

***

“Fall’s coming,” he says one day midway through August, and dangles his legs because he’s ­uneasy.

She doesn’t reply, just closes her eyes and clings to him as the seasons spin around them.

Kzehr said...
Beautiful piece, so happy but so sad, keep writing its very good!

Nicegirl82 said...
I loved it!!! completely and totally loved it. wish it were longer just because i liked it so much.
******

Madelyn said...
Its beautiful! I really love how descriptive it is, and it really is down to the point. Its gorgeous! <3

MusicL0v3r28 said...
This is truely beautiful. The feelings she has for him. The emotion. I applaud you all the way.

cross-i'd-leopard said...
Apr. 19, 2009 at 1:18 am
that was to the point, not ramble-ing like almost everything else on this site. It was really good.

Melinda L. said...
this was beautiful, and you got right to the point.

Claire and Aaron said...
Feb. 17, 2009 at 12:34 am
oh my gosh. i know exactly how that feels! I felt like crying while reading this.

Anjagirl said...
It describes real feelings the quick love of a personb but without really knowing them and when the qick feeling is gone you do not have anything to keep you together. Great jo

iks32. said...
i really liked this it was awesome

GrnFuture57 said...
You just got to the point. And its a tough point to just get down to. Thumbs up.

mallygirl91 said...
i love it!it describes teenage relationships so well.

SN said...
Oct. 17, 2008 at 1:30 am
Love it. It is very real.

mchew said...
great job. a beautiful story that is totally relatable

sarah4 said...
This is why I'm afraid to date too! Beautiful and poetic, real and yet dreamilke. Good work.

Globie R. Squash said...
Sept. 25, 2008 at 12:56 am
This is why I'm afraid to date people(LOL)! This story is really true and well written. It's more like a poem than a short story... good job!

GeorgiaMomma said...
Awh!! It's sweet.

nookiesayshi said...
i like it very muchh...
finally someone who understands the meainng of true love lol

totally_ruthless said...
i like it =)

miss.bliss1 said...
Beautiful..simplistic and beautiful.