Eyelash Wishes | Teen Ink

Eyelash Wishes

March 21, 2008
By Anonymous

There’s no doubt that when we blow the eyelash and make a wish, the eyelash doesn’t go to some magical world. It goes on the floor to get trampled on by feet. It goes on the ground to get carried away by ants. It goes in the gutter to be washed away by a rush of black water and yesterday’s newspapers.

But maybe its different for the wish.

The wish is thought. The wish is whispered. The wish is projected.

And maybe, just maybe, that wish goes somewhere. Somewhere where it can be sorted out of the millions of other wishes. Wishes made on stars, on pennies, on necklaces, and wishes made on other eyelashes. Maybe it goes somewhere beyond us. Somewhere where someone or something can sort them. Can answer them. Maybe the process doesn’t always seem fair to us. But maybe as humans, we don’t really grasp what fair is.

Then again, maybe the wish I simply lost. Carried away in the wind. Echoed through silent nights. Maybe they wonder around, searching. Searching for a place to rest. Searching for the magical place where they were meant to go. Searching like we search for truth and meaning.

Maybe they just never find it. But what if maybe, just maybe, they did?

I don’t really know which one I believe. But I know I’m going to keep making my eyelash wishes.