The Art of Falling Apart, Lashing Out, and Putting the Pieces Back Together Again | Teen Ink

The Art of Falling Apart, Lashing Out, and Putting the Pieces Back Together Again

March 19, 2008
By Anonymous

Emily, whose bedroom was illuminated by the overcast light filtering through the open window, heard the knock on the door but didn't respond. She didn't need to, for Aidan walked through but a second later, a look of worry conflicting with anger on his face. He paused at the foot of the bed, his eyes locking with hers at the other end. He didn't speak until she turned her gaze away.

"What were you thinking?" he asked angrily. "...Well, what?" She felt his ferocious gaze as she looked toward the open window.

"I did it on a lark," she replied in a deadpan tone, her eyes moving to the bandages on her wrists. "Well, more of a plunge than a lark, I guess."

"That's all you have to say?"
"No."
"The come out with it!"

He walked around her bed waiting for a reply, pausing at her bookshelf and picking a book up to distract his hands with. She continued to say nothing, and the young man through book at her head. She let out a yelp as it struck the headboard.

"Why are you being so mean to me?" she asked calmly. He moved close to her, his face inches way from her own.

"My daughter barely got a chance at life," he hissed, "And you've just tried to throw your away!"

He stood up back up again, looking out the window, his face away from Emily's view.

"I know how you feel," he said a few seconds later. Emily didn't reply, so he continued on.

"I was in the hospital every day the week before my daughter died. There were many times when I though I couldn't handle it, and I just wanted to end it all...But I had hope that she'd come through alright...I was not going to fail as a father...I wanted to prove everyone wrong...I didn't do it because it would've been a selfish waste."

'I guess I'm just weak, then,"Emily muttered as tears began falling from her eyes. "I...I don't know...I let my grief fall all over me. I just couldn't handle you not being there."

She paused, and them wobbled out of bed, walking over to Aidan and leaning against the window pane next to him.

"I just thought it would make things better,"she said, watching a woman across the street drape laundry over the railing of her balcony.

"I'm sorry," Aidan muttered.
"Why?"
"For putting you through-"
"You didn't do anything wrong," Emily cut in, "You were just being sensible and rational. We probably never would've made it under the circumstances."

"I couldn't just throw the responsibility of being a mother on you," he told her as his voice wavered.

"I know."

"It still hurt, though," he finished.

"I'll get over it. I believe in us," Emily said with a smile.

Aidan put his arm around her waist and pulled her close into a kiss. Breaking the kiss, he wiped a tear from her face.

"Do you want to come stay with me?" he asked softly.

"Forever?" Emily responded with a being smile.

"Sure."

They kissed again in front of the window, a plastic bag flying by, caught in the breeze and shooting up into the brightening sky.