2 Worlds | Teen Ink

2 Worlds

“Mall time, anyone?” I asked.

All my girls screamed, “Oh yeah! Let’s go!”

We drove off to the mall, parked the car and got out. I walked in and accidentally crashed into somebody. Next thing I knew, I was looking into a hazel eyed guy. “Yo, you okay?” said the guy.

“Yeah, I’m sorry.”

He was wearing baggy pants and a shirt. He looked like a gangster in some way. “Ok, cool…my name is Jay.”

“Oh, my name is Emily. Nice to meet you.”

“Yeah, listen I gotta go now so see ya around.”

“See ya.”

I walked away. The girls kept annoying me and asking me what happened. I just didn’t want to talk about him, even if he looked pretty hot. “Wanna go to D.C. Sun?” I asked. All the girls looked confused.

“But we never go in there and to think of it makes me sick,” said Maddie, one of the girls.

“Come on, do you think we need an adventure? Something new instead of Hoilland or California Love?”

“Did something happen in your brain while you crashed into the boy?” asked Becca.

“No…let’s forget it. Want to go to California Love now?” I said.

“Yes!” said Maddie.

All the girls started heading to California Love. On our way there, we past D.C. Sun. “Last call for getting a new adventure?? Anyone?” I said.

“Fine, but we are only giving you 10 minutes top,” said Tonii and she sighed.

We walked into the store. All the girls were looking at the clothes and making faces. I thought, This store wasn’t all that bad. Oh that’s a cute necklace! I want to get it! I was buying the necklace, when I saw someone. I thought nah can’t be him. I guess he does shop here. I gotta get out of here. I looked back and got my bag. I saw the girls ready to go then I started exited the door. Then looked back and saw Jay looking right at me, he smiled then I looked away. I felt this tingling feeling inside of me but I decided to ignore it.

Wow, she’s pretty but I don’t think she’s my type. She’s too preppy but she did come in here which her type usually won’t come in. Maybe I should get her number then get to know her better…

“Yo, wait up,” I yelled at Emily. Then I crashed in to her and dropped my bag. She dropped her bag too.

“Oh hey, sorry, I didn’t see you here. May I help you or something?” she said as she grabbed her bag.

“I was wondering if you wanna hang out with me and my friends sometimes.”

“Sure, but I didn’t think your friends wanna hang out with mine. I have to admit my friends can be too girly.”

“Nah, that’s cool. They don’t mind hanging out with anyone. My aim is Jayz1324.”

“Sure, mine is Emis2cute4u.” She wrote her screename on paper and gave it to me.

“Cool, then I’ll guess I’ll hit you up tonight.”

“Yup, I have to go now; my girls are waiting for me.”

“Okay, bye I guess,” I waved bye then walked out.

Jayz1324: Hey this is jay.
Emis2cute4u: Hey…sup?
Jayz1324: nm…just chillin out. When do u think it’s a good time 2 get together?
Emis2cute4u: Oh same here. Um…I have to ask my girls 2 find out when. I’ll tell u when I ask them.
Jayz1324: oh k. how old are you? I’m 15
Emis2cute4u: 14. I’m a freshman rite now. I live around 15 minutes from Minneapolis.

Jayz1324: Kool. I’m a sophomore. I go 2 Waterville High School…I think I live near ur place.
Emis2cute4u: Really? I go 2 Waterville but I never see u there.
Jayz1324: I don’t like 2 stand out. Many peeps don’t know me. But I’m really tight w my crew.
Emis2cute4u: No wonder. gtg. I’m tired. I’ll try to catch u up at skool if I see u.
Jayz1324: k. sleep tight. Bye.
Emis2cute4u signed off at 10:15 p.m.

I put on my new necklace and went to bed. During the night I had a strange dream. I was walking through a tunnel and this voice said, “come, darling don’t be afraid,” over and over again. Then when I got to the end of the tunnel, I heard a gong. It felt like I was flying and then just hit the ground. *gasp* At least it’s a dream. Important I’m in my room. Wait…this isn’t my room. This isn’t my bed. This isn’t my house! What the heck am I doing here?! Where am I? Mommy!

After the talk with Emily, I decided to go to bed. Before I went to bed, I put on my new necklace. Then I passed out, but I had the weirdest dream that I was in a tunnel and this voice said, “come, darling don’t be afraid,” over and over again. Then when I got to the end of the tunnel, I heard a gong. It felt like I was flying and boom! I hit the ground. What? Where am I? This ain’t my room. Dang…I don’t own pink pillows. I think I’m too scared to get out of here. Wait… there’s a mirror. WHAT??? I’m EMILY? No…Can’t be! Mommy!

Jayz1324 signed on at 7:25 p.m.
Emis2cute4u: what jux happened?
Jayz1324: I have no clue…don’t tell me ur in my body?
Emis2cute4u: Yup and now I have no clue where 2 go and what to do…
Jayz1324: Fine…meet me at the mall.
Emis2cute4u: Okay…now? But skool?
Jayz1324: Yes now! So? We’ll skip skool until we find a way to switch back.
Jayz1324 signed off at 7:35 a.m.
Emis2cute4u: But what I’ll wear

“Hey,” said a voice.

“Oh…hey!” said Emily in Jay’s body

“What did you do to me?” asked Jay in Emily’s body.

“Why you blaming it on me? I did nothing!” Emily said.

“Fine, fine. But how do you think we ended in this way?”

“I have no clue. Maybe it’s a thing we put on or spell someone did to us.”

“I haven’t talked to anyone, since last week, I didn’t know expect you.”

“Same with me.”

“Then how we ended up this way? What did you buy yesterday?”

“Um…2 shirts, 1 necklace, and some food.”

“I only bought a necklace. Maybe that’s got to do with it.”

“Where did you buy yours? I bought mine at D.C. Sun.”

“I did too. Nah that’s impossible.”

“Right. So we’ll just stay here for the day or go to school? I have a test today.”

“Staying here. I don’t want to take the test for you and I don’t think you’ll understand the exams.”

“Okay, but how we let the school know? I don’t usually do this.”

“I did this all the time in freshman year, I was a bad boy. But I changed once my dad died.”

“Oh, sorry about that.”

“It’s cool. Anyways this is how I did it. I called the school in my mom’s voice. During freshman year, I had a high pitched voice. I think I can do it with your voice. Then I’ll just say that I can’t come to school because of family emergency. I’ll hang up and call them again. I’ll tell them that you can’t go to school because of the chicken pox or something. Got it?”

“Um, okay. Are you sure this going to work? What if your mom or my mom wants to come to the mall and see us? Or what if the school needs information from one of the parents and calls the house?”

“Yes I’m sure. I did this many times last year. My mom doesn’t go to the mall that often. If they do, we’ll hide at D.C. Sun. They will never see us there. What kind of information the school needs? Don’t worry too much. Trust me girl.”

“Okay…maybe I do worry too much. But I barely know you.”

“I’m in your body, you are in mine. So you HAVE to trust me.”

“Fine, but it feels weird to look at myself all the time,” Emily started to laugh.

I think I DO worry too much. I have to learn to trust people. Maybe I just have to live the adventure. I’m too confused right now. Phone booth, need to find one. I pointed to the phone booth and walked there. He started practicing the voice. He started dialing and said, “Hi this is Jay’s mother…Yes he’s right here…We had a family emergency…That’s right, gone the whole day…He should be back tomorrow…okay you too…bye thanks!”

“Wow, you do sound like a mom, or do I? But still you are pretty good at this,” I said.

“Yup, but your voice is perfect to imitate a mom,” Jay said.

“Is it a bad thing?”

“Well…kind of. It makes you sounds too strict. But don’t worry; a girl like you is too cool to be a mom for now.”

“Um, yeah, now you call the school again to make excuses for me.”

Jay picked up the phone and dialed. Then he started to talk, it still sounded like a mom but a little different. “Hey, this is Emily’s mom. I wanted to make sure that you know that she’s at home…Sick with chicken pox…Maybe…we have to check with the doctor…I’ll let you know tomorrow…Yes you too…bye.”

“They actually believe that?”

“Yeah, they usually believe in phone calls more than emails because one time I did hack into my mom’s email and send an email to the school. They called my mom at work to make sure. Then I got busted. I think that’s the first time my dad was too disappointed in me. Also, that’s when I stop skipping school.”

“Wow, okay, where to go now? We need to figure out how this happened.”

“I’m starting to suspect the necklace have something to do with this. I got mine right here.”

Jay took off the necklace that he hid in the shirt. Wait…I think it’s the same one! “Maybe, I brought it too,” I said.

Then I took it out. It was exactly the same necklace. “Wow…it’s the same necklace. Let’s go to D.C. Sun and ask them if the necklace is jinxed,” said Jay.

He took my hand then walked towards D.C. Sun. My hand feels very soft. That means the lotion that Tonii gave me actually works! Yay! No stop thinking about my hand…the whole point is that a boy is in MY body. Ew…

Well…this is awkward. I’m in a girl’s body, which makes it worst because it’s a preppy girl’s body. Little too much for me cause I never really hung out with a preppy girl before. This girl is different. Maybe she is a girly girl but not a snobby one.

We walked to the counter and asked the store clerk if there’s something wrong with the necklace. He said we had to talk with the manager. Back of the store, a door bursted open and a man with skater clothes on. He looked like he’s in his 30’s. The man said, “Hey, any problems?”

“No…Well yeah,” said Emily.

“We think this necklace is jinxed,” I said.

“Well, what makes you think that?” said the manager.

“Um…we switched our bodies,” said Emily.

The manager and the clerk laughed. “Wait, so you think this necklace caused you to switch bodies?”

“Yeah, we bought this necklace yesterday and we both put it on last night. Then we woke up the next day find ourselves, well not ourselves,” said Emily.

“Oh those necklace…okay, I found these necklaces in a booth last summer. They each cost $30. I was planning to give them to my nieces but they didn’t want them. So I asked the company if I can sell them. They said I have to get permission from the owner but the owner disappeared. So, they said I could. I have no clue what they do or who made them. But I bought them from an elderly lady who owned a booth with many kind of different jewelry. I don’t know how to reverse any of this…if it’s true.”

“Yeah it’s true, do you have any idea how to reverse it? Did the booth have any paper or signs or anything that might give a hint?” I asked.

“Well, there was a sign…let me think, it said, I don’t think I can remember. But, wait it’s coming back to me…I think it said to reverse it you have to actually reverse it or something like that. Sorry I don’t know if it helps or not.”

“Okay…we’ll figure it out somehow. We better go. Bye, thanks for your help,” Emily said.

“No problem. Bye,” the manager waved and walked back into the door.

“Now what we going to do?” I asked.

“We have to figure what that sign means. Maybe it means we have to take the necklace off and put it back on,” Jay said in Emily’s body.

“Yeah…that or we have to switch necklaces.”

“Let’s go somewhere where people won’t see us.”

“Where?”

“Go to the park. It’s around 2 blocks from here.”

Jay took my hand and walked out of the mall. He’s too sweet. Stop it Emily! I don’t like him! Not at all, but I can’t help it. He’s too cute but not my type of guy. Maybe if I give him a chance. No he won’t give me one for sure. He doesn’t have time to hang out with girls like me. I might be too preppy for him. I DO worry too much. I have to stop. Fine…I’ll give him a chance if he likes me.

“Let’s try your way first,” Jay said.

“Okay, here you go.”

Should I or shouldn’t? What if she doesn’t like me...*sigh* Fine if she doesn’t like me then never mind her. I’m going to do it!

We switched necklaces and put them on. There was a moment of silence. Then a loud gong rang in my ear. A weird feeling like all of my soul was coming out of the body. For a minute, it felt like I couldn’t control anything and I was helpless. Another gong rang in my ear then I was back on Earth. I looked at Jay and he was back into his body. I was back in mine. I screamed and hugged him a little too tight. But I didn’t care, I was just too happy to be back. Then he kissed me and looked at me. He smiled then ran off. I smiled and got this funny feeling inside.