Lemon

When he felt like there was nothing that could save him from the boringness of each mundane day he expired in, he drank a cup of tea. Each day he rotted away like a moldy summer peach or a green clementine with slippery skin. If you put him in the fridge and made a time capsule, he would wake up a couple of years later only to be disappointed. That was it. He was disappointed. He was disappointed in his words and in his simple cup of tea with a lemon. Always with a lemon because that was the most obnoxious thing to put in a cup of tea. His waitress would always sigh when he added “with lemon” in a way that suggested she wanted him to change but there was nothing she could do about it. The only thing she could do was sigh and throw away a saved up smile and eventually that was enough for him to stop adding on a “with lemon” and replace it with a “join me instead.” And eventually it was the waitress and he sitting in a different place with cups of coffee, because you can’t put lemon in coffee.

herg said...
I absolutely love your word choice & the picture you painted of the lonely, disappointed man. You have an amazing way with words, lovey <3 

brooklyn said...
I love the full circle ending!  This story made me think of you, do you have a customer that always orders tea with lemon? The romance aspect was subtle but very sweet :D

ElissalovesAl said...
ohmygoodness alice ! you are such a talented writer. i really loved how well written this piece was (just like everything else you write) and all of the figurative language you use. great job, babe ! i love youuu