Lemon | Teen Ink

Lemon

By aliceinwonnderland SILVER, Hillsdale, New Jersey
aliceinwonnderland SILVER, Hillsdale, New Jersey

“The problem with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and putting things in it.”

When he felt like there was nothing that could save him from the boringness of each mundane day he expired in, he drank a cup of tea. Each day he rotted away like a moldy summer peach or a green clementine with slippery skin. If you put him in the fridge and made a time capsule, he would wake up a couple of years later only to be disappointed. That was it. He was disappointed. He was disappointed in his words and in his simple cup of tea with a lemon. Always with a lemon because that was the most obnoxious thing to put in a cup of tea. His waitress would always sigh when he added “with lemon” in a way that suggested she wanted him to change but there was nothing she could do about it. The only thing she could do was sigh and throw away a saved up smile and eventually that was enough for him to stop adding on a “with lemon” and replace it with a “join me instead.” And eventually it was the waitress and he sitting in a different place with cups of coffee, because you can’t put lemon in coffee.

herg said...
I absolutely love your word choice & the picture you painted of the lonely, disappointed man. You have an amazing way with words, lovey <3 

brooklyn said...
I love the full circle ending!  This story made me think of you, do you have a customer that always orders tea with lemon? The romance aspect was subtle but very sweet :D

ohmygoodness alice ! you are such a talented writer. i really loved how well written this piece was (just like everything else you write) and all of the figurative language you use. great job, babe ! i love youuu