The Unknown Boy | Teen Ink

The Unknown Boy

By Bridget815 BRONZE, St. Paul, Minnesota
Bridget815 BRONZE, St. Paul, Minnesota

I can just stare at him, nothing else. He is slumped over on a bench with a book but he isn’t reading. His gray eyes are off focus. Just staring ahead at the clock, flinching at the seconds passing. His head rests against the wall and from the way he is slouched on the bench it looks like he has given up. All of his features show that he is frightened of what’s coming. He is turning very white and just started to shake. It’s hard to imagine what he is so afraid of in this school cafeteria. I want to help him but I don’t think I can do anything but stare at him.

For now though, he sits in the corner, safe. He is sitting by the trays of half eaten food. It lets off a terrible odor but he doesn’t notice. He is so far off that it seems like he is unconscious. Suddenly I can see a light spark in the once far of eyes. He slowly stands up off the bench, wipes his curly brown hair out of his eyes, and zips up his sweatshirt with difficulty from his shaking hands. His book fell but I doubt he has noticed. His head starts to lift and I can see the fear start to drain from his face. The little fear left is soon replaced by a new look of determination. He slowly and steadily makes his way out of the cafeteria and as he walks, I can see the hope build up on his face. His steps are getting much steadier as he walks towards the doors. After a slight hesitation, he pushes open the doors and as he leaves he lets them bang behind him. I look around the room and obviously no one else even noticed him. They just kept talking and laughing, not worried or scared like the boy. I wish I knew what was wrong, or at least his name. I have only seen him a few times around school and I don’t think anyone knows who he is. I walk over to the bench he was sitting on, pick up the book he dropped, hoping he will return for it.