A World Without End | Teen Ink

A World Without End

By StreetKat SILVER, Hamlin, New York
StreetKat SILVER, Hamlin, New York

V: Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.
Evey Hammond: Are you like a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

The last happy memory I could remember, was ten years ago. Before People were consumed by greed. Before Nature started to destroy the world, back when you didn’t have to hide from carnivores and cannibals. Back when the streets of Tokyo Japan were safe. I witnessed it all. Every minute of the terror brought to the world.
Broadcasts, footage shown from all over. London torn to pieces by their own people. NYC becoming the City of Blood. France destroyed in an earthquake. All for greed, for power, and the lust to survive. I roam the dead world. Hiding when any form of life comes near. It’s too risky. I’m only sixteen. Journaling what I see.
The campfire crackled, it was small but enough to keep me warm. Right now I’m in what was once Belgium. Most the country was underwater. The only part of land left was a small isolated island that was Kortrjk. The only way to reach it was a highway stretch from France.
Pulling the blanket closer to me I shivered a bit. Ten years I’ve been wandering, looking for a sane person. Ten years I’ve failed to find one. I don’t know how I’ve been able to keep my sanity this long. Loneliness is something hard to surpass. How much longer will I suffer through this?
There was a snap and I was on my feet. Light tends to attract all sorts of living creatures. Silence was left after that, as if the entire city were dead. That was only half true I knew it was dangerous to be here, to be alive on this planet. But someone has to know how it will turn out. To know how this happened to prevent it from happening again.
“Is someone there…” I asked in a low voice, from the danger I’ve encountered I’ve learned that sometimes words will scare them away.
“You speak? Dinner?” A voice asked in response cannibal.
“You do not want to eat me,” I reasoned my way out of death before.
“No eating Dinner? Why would Dinner tell me that?” It stepped forwards and I could make out an outline of a young boy my age. “Is Dinner like me? Eating and someday will be eaten?”
“No I’m not like you,” I told him. “I do not eat to eat, I eat to survive. And I do not eat my own kind that’s disgraceful.”
“The world is dead, you have to do what you can to survive.” He stepped forwards more. “Kill or be killed. For days it’s been like that. For weeks maybe. Time means nothing.” Another step.
“And to be alone? Knowing that you have eaten all those who could’ve been your friends.” I stepped back. He was now in the light. He had long ratted blonde hair and white skin covered in dirt. He had on torn genes that were most likely from someone he killed. He had no shirt and he stood tall, taller than myself who was only 5’4in.
“Friends, I have friends. They do not speak but they are friends. And you Dinner, do you have friends?” He studied me closely. His eyes burning with the fire next to us.
“No, there all dead.” I answered, maybe it’s time for me to go as well…
“All dinner,” he chuckled softly. “Just like you. Dinner come play, come.” Without realizing it I was following him. In a sort of daze that wouldn’t let me go. His voice leading me through the darkness, into my death.
Just the darkness, and his trail. If I turned around I wouldn’t be able to see the light from my fire. I was now at the disadvantage. I was now walking too my grave. I lost a battle that I’ve been working ten years to win. All that’s left are these words.
As I walk I feel cold hands touch my cheek and I stop. “Play with me…” He whisperers to me again.
“Could we have none each other before?” I asked softly. I feel his lips on my neck and he lifts my chin. Never answering my question I feel him taking off my shirt, my bra. Shortly my pants and underwear as well. I feel his hands roam my body as if to find the most meat.
“Remember me.” He whisperers in a slightly hurt voice. “Please, Save me.” My eyes drift close as he bites into my neck with sharp teeth.
“If I die in your hands, I know the world has truly ended.” I spoke through my teeth trying not to scream. There is no hope for humanity. Not if someone you love is the one to end you.
Blood dripped down, soaking my skin. “Brother…” Nails dig into my back spilling more blood. “Logan, please end this.” With that statement his hand tore through my body ripping out my still beating heart. He held onto my motionless body, cradling it to him as he cried.
“Tell me, why do you think the world will end?” He asked me as two children sat on top a hill looking at the sunset. The girl rested her head on his shoulder.
“Because one day everything has to end. But when it does end I’ll be there to see it all.” She smiled at him and he laughed. “Logan, if we’re around when the world ends… if we survive. I want to start a new world.”
“How will you do that?” He asked her.
“I’ll make a journal. For the survivors you know. Tell everyone how this happened to help prevent it from happening again.” She smiled again. “If I die before you, I want you to continue my work. Okay?”
“I don’t think you’ll die first.” He stated. “But if you do, I’ll show it to everyone I see”
“And the world can start over. Peacefuly,”