The Soccer Day | Teen Ink

The Soccer Day

By Madison Miller BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
Madison Miller BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois

“Avery?” called Mom.

“Yes?” I said.

“We will be back soon, we are going to get you and your sister a new soccer ball.”

I was so excited I didn't even respond back to my mom. I ran upstairs and told Mia about it.

“We're getting a new soccer ball Mia!”

“Oh, I'm so excited!”

Mia was eight years old and she loved soccer, just like me. I would say we are pretty good at getting along.

“CREEK, BOUNCE, BOUNCE.” we heard the door shut and the new soccer ball bounce. As soon as we heard it, we went flying down the stairs like a skyrocket going to outer space.

“Thank you Mom and Dad!”

“You are welcome girls. Why don't you go outside and try it out?”

About two hours later we were still outside kicking the ball around. I was practicing my corner kick and from a view, I saw my neighbor, Mr. Butler.

This guy is different. We heard him yelling in his house all the time. Im guessing he's just watching football or something.

“Avery?!” called Mia, “Lets go inside.”

“Okay, let me kick my last corner kick.”

I kick the ball and feel the power through my feet. The next thing I knew, it was in Mr. Butler's lawn.

“Uh, Oh.” shouts Mia.

The next thing you knew, we ran inside, not even telling our parents. When we got upstairs in our room, we realized one day we were bored and made a map of Mr. Butler's lawn. This is just what we need. We peek outside the window and see the ball in his lawn. We mark the balls place on the map. We're ready!

We're outside and ready to get that new soccer ball.

“Go ahead Avery, you kicked it into his yard, so you go first.”

“Okay,” I said hesitantly.

I run into his lawn and all of a sudden I stand there frozen. I see his face through his window.
Quickly, I grab the ball and sprint back into our yard. Mr. Butler steps outside. Now he's in our yard.

“I believe this is your watch, young lady?”

“That it is. Thank you.”

“You are very welcome.”

I totally forgot I even had my watch on. Thank God he found it. It was worth a lot of money!

“You know miss, I used to be on the U.S.A. Soccer team.”

“Wow, thats amazing!”

“Here I will give you one of my medals.”

“Are you sure Mr. Butler?”

“Of course I am.”

He went back to his house to get the medal. I still couldn’t believe he was on the U.S.A. Soccer team!

“Here you go.”

“Thank you Mr. Butler.”

“You’re welcome. You better take good care of that.”

I rush inside my house and yell for Mia and my parents. They come down the stairs and see the medal in my hand.

“Oh my gosh honey.” says Mom.

“The U.S.A. Soccer team medal!” Mia could not believe her eyes.

“Mr. Butler gave it to me and said I could keep it. He was on the U.S.A. Soccer team.”

“See, now you guys realize Mr. Butler is not a bad guy.”

Dad was right, we all concluded that Mr. Butler was just a normal, nice man.