The Day I Realized | Teen Ink

The Day I Realized

The night before the big day, and the clock read 9:00. I couldn’t decide what to wear.
“You’ve been at this for hours”, my mom said.

“I know mom but I have nothing to wear”.

“How about you wear this”?

“Are you kidding me that looks like a dog puked on it”, plus someone already has that outfit !”

Finally came morning, I got up did my usual routines and then I started curling my hair. While I started jamming out to my favorite song Barbie girl. I was occupied with curling my hair that I didn’t realize that their was water in the bathtub so I went to go let the water out and the curling iron slipped. Suddenly the lights were going crazy, next thing I know, my hair is frizzier than Ben Wallace’s afro. I began panicking because I only had this last day to promote myself. I tried super hard to fix it but it just wasn’t working, I tried covering it with a hat and the hat popped right off.! The bus usually came around 7:00am and the clock said 6:55am. What am I going to do with this disastrous hair I thought to myself.

I got to school and the really cute boy that I had my eye on waved to me. He wasn’t just any boy he was a quarterback on the football team. I was just the geeky girl who gave water to the materialistic-cheerleader. I always wanted to be a cheerleader because everyone talked to them or listen plus they were people that could always have fun. I always envied my sister though because she is the captain of the varsity cheerleading squad. Anyway back to my hair day I didn’t know why I wanted to be prom queen I guess it was just to show people that you don’t have to have much or be this popular stuck up person for people to like you.

The school day was over and I had to get home if I had any shot at winning prom queen. I took a shower first so my hair wouldn’t look like I just swept up the floor. My mom fixed my hair up and did my makeup I actually felt like princess. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I looked in the mirror it was like I was a model or a superstar. I never saw myself like this before. So I got to prom and when I walked in everyone was dead silent just staring a me. Did I have something in my teeth, I wondered. Football players kept coming up to me asking if I needed a date or something to drink? I asked them why they were talking to me because they never had talked to me in their lives. They told it was because I looked good in my dress. I told them I had no interest in them if they only liked me for that reason they probably didn’t even know my name. I was so upset that I had to leave the dance.

It turned out that I didn’t win prom queen but I’m glad that I actually know why I’m not friends with the materialistic people. I’m glad that I have my group of friends and that’s really all I need.