Holden Meets Daisy | Teen Ink

Holden Meets Daisy

I heard Old Gatsby was having one of those parties again at his place. I wasn’t really interested in meeting new people. It’s just that the drinks are free and they don’t even ask you how old you are! I decided to go since I had nothing else to do and I was feeling pretty lonesome and all.
While getting dressed, I thought about wearing my red hat. I kept it in my pocket the whole time. It was my first time going to one of those parties and I didn’t want to look like a moron. I stopped a cab and told him to go to West Egg. When I finally got to Old Gatsby’s house, I decided that having a goddamn conversation with a cab driver is useless. They’re not very intellectual people, I’ll tell you that!
There were a lot of girls there. They were good looking too but they were probably older than me. Anyway, I could fool them with my height and gray hair. One in particular caught my eye. She was a helluva catch, surrounded by a lot of guys and all. Even Old Gatsby was walking by her.
So I’ll tell you what I did. I went right up there and started a conversation. First, I asked Old Gatsby how he was and all. Then, he introduced me to her. Her name was Daisy. She was one of those girls that I can tell was charming on the outside but phony on the inside. A girl that loves those goddamn conceited rich guys. The whole time I was talking to Old Gatsby here, I kept giving her the sexy look. I’m not sure if it worked though. She kept looking at Gatsby’s face the whole time like she was in love with him or something. That was strange because her goddamn husband was standing right there and all. It killed me.
Anyway, a song I liked started playing so I asked Daisy to dance with me. Her voice is amazing but she’s not a very good dancer. So I stopped and asked her if she wanted to have a drink instead so we can talk or something.
“So how’s ya?” I asked her, while still giving her the sexy look.
She said she was swell and all. Then, she asked me why I was looking at her like that.
“Are you falling in love with me? Is that why you’re giving me that look?” she said while giggling.
I couldn’t help but admit that maybe I was in love with her a little. I sure wished Allie was here to meet her. Daisy would’ve loved him. I brought out my red hunting hat and showed it to her. She stared at it blankly. Then, she started to look around as if some wolf might start attacking her or something. That killed me.
I didn’t want to talk anymore because I had the feeling I was talking too much and I sure didn’t want to talk about school. I imagined telling Daisy about me getting kicked out of Pency. It depressed me and I suddenly didn’t feel like talking to her anymore. So this is what I did. I sat there and listened to her talk the whole time about how brutal Tom, her husband I guessed, was.
“Darling, he’s so cruel but thank goodness for Gatsby. Oh how I love Gatsby.”
She looked like she was about to cry but she still went on and on with her beautiful voice. She really did have a beautiful voice. I decided I didn’t love her anymore, though. She was too dreamy and sometimes it feels like she’s not even talking to you or something. I was pretty lonesome so I stayed around for a while. It gives me something to do. While she was talking, I wondered if she noticed all the other guys looking at her and all. Boy, she was something.
I started getting tired and all so I told her that Old Gatsby was probably looking for her somewhere. That was a lie because I knew he was standing there the whole time watching her talk to me. He didn’t want to interrupt or anything. She was startled for a minute. Then, stood up and gave me a kiss on the cheek. She smiled sweetly and walked away. In a weird sort of way, I sort of started to fall in love with her again.
I stayed around for one more drink and left this place full of phonies.