Elisabeth Jones | Teen Ink

Elisabeth Jones

"Help!"cried Ben, begging for money, while Marie was holding poor little Elisabeth in her hands. Their stomachs were growling and all they could think of was food that they sadly couldn't afford.
At the end of the day they would go home! Sometimes, if they were lucky enough, they would get food to eat but sometimes they would starve. If it was raining outside then the floor or in other words the grass would be soggy and wet. It would be very cold too, for the bottom of the bridge in Ney York was the roof for their home. The Jones family was very poor.
17 years later

Seventeen years have passed since then. Elisabeth is now seventeen years old and it's the year
1906. Elisabeth received a job as a baker for this little bakery in town. She worked hard at her job and
now Elisabeth, Marie, and Ben lived in a little, old log cabin. They were saving the money that Elisabeth brought home from work when she was paid. When they had enough money to buy a house, they did. The log cabin that they bought was a small home made out of wood. It had all kinds of trees, bushes, and plants all around it. Inside the log cabin was everything one would see in a regular home, a kitchen, abathroom, and a room. The Jones were the happiest family the day they bought the log cabin. They finally had a home to live in.

Elisabeth tried her best at the little bakery shop that she worked at. She made the most delicious
cakes in the world. Once someone took a bite of her cake, they would fall in love with it immediately. Her cakes were in different varieties, some were so tall they almost reached the ceiling and some were so short it seems as it was a big round cookie instead of a cake. Once a person took a step inside the little bakery that Elisabeth worked at they could taste the smell of one of her cakes sliding down their throat. Everyone love her cakes, Elisabeth had a talent.

One day when she was sitting on a couch in her living room, just reading a book. She heard a knock on her door. I wonder who it might be? she thought. She opened the door cautiously. It was
the mail man.

“Hello there,” he said, “This is for you!” and handed Elisabeth a small rectangular
grayish envelope. “Thank you!” Elisabeth answered and closed the door. The letter was mailed to her,
from the bakery factory on 31st street of New York, New York. She was opening the letter and
wondering what was inside at the same time. She was so nervous for an unknown reason. What if it
was the bakery that she worked at and they wanted to fire her, she was very scared.

The letter was white as the snow with black ink on it. She wanted to know what was written in
the letter really bad. She started to read. “Dear Elisabeth Jones,” but then all of a sudden her mom came and snatched the letter from her hands and threw it away.

“It's nothing for us dear, just junk mail,” Marie said. Elisabeth didn't even get to read the rest of it. That made it even worse!

So that night, while her parents were sleeping, she rose up from sleeping. She really wanted to know what had it said in the letter that was sent to her. If her parents found out she would be in huge trouble. Her parents didn't want her to receive mail or read it because once someone sent a letter to Marie and Ben, it was about how they won a lottery. So they went to the place they had to go to receive their prize and instead it was this dirty, full of smoke madhouse. They almost were put in the madhouse but they escaped in time. That is why Elisabeth's parents wouldn't let her read letters. So that night she she went in the hallway, which was pitch black. She could hardly see were she was going. She tiptoed through the hallway. She was cautious on where she was going because the wooden floor in her house was as screechy as a cat when someone steps on its tail. When she arrived to the kitchen, she immediately went for the trash can that her mom threw the letter away in. I found it, Elisabeth thought as huge smile, bigger the the sun appeared on her face. She took the letter and put it in her pocket, on the left side of her pink and purple bell bottom pajama pants. Then she rapidly, knowing that she had to be quiet she, ran fast to the bathroom. For the bathroom was farthest away from where her parents were sleeping, so they wouldn’t hear her. In the bathroom she took the letter out of her pink pajama pants pocket and started to read and read for the joy in her heart stared to build up. The farther she read the happier she was.

After she read the letter she had joy and happiness on her face. She was the luckiest girl alive.

The letter was from a famous bakery in town. It talked all about how smart and perfect Elisabeth was and how bad they wanted to hire her to be their baker. They said they would give Elisabeth and her family a nice big home, which has the finest furniture that was ever made in New York. They said that she would be paid enough.

Elisabeth could not believe this; she felt warm teardrops go down her cheeks with joy. The carpet slid to the left side of the room as Elisabeth charged to the right. She hurried over to her parent room; she couldn’t wait to tell them the big news.
“Mamma, Daddy, wake up, wake up!” Elisabeth yelled out.
“What’s wrong honey?” Marie said as she opened her sleepy eyes. Elisabeth handed her the letter. Marie started to read it, she was beginning to have a humongous smile appear on her sleepy face. After she read it she looked at Elisabeth and couldn’t say a thing. Nothing could come out of her mouth, she was speechless. Marie rose up and hugged Elisabeth. Elisabeth felt warm teardrops landing on her shoulder for her mamma was crying. They were the luckiest family alive!