Only Kids | Teen Ink

Only Kids

She had these… these great blue eyes and long, thin, light brown hair to top it all off. She had always been fit and tall for as long as he could remember. She moved in a way that he could only describe as gliding. Julie moved with such grace that if she had been ice skating, Michael would never had known the difference.

She picked up her drink and began scanning the café for Michael, constantly moving her head back and forth. She rapidly turned her head and her hair (oh, that hair) flew around in unison with the rest of her body. She saw him right out of the glass door that he was gazing at her through. A smile grew on her face when she saw Michael sitting outside, his eyes fixated with her, while his body gave off a very nonchalant expression. She flew out the door, racing to sit next to him.

“Hey, Mickey” she said.
“Mickey?” Michael responded in shock. “What is this, second grade?”
“No, but that comeback was” she said teasingly in rebuttal, with a proud grin on her face.
“How are you Julie?”
“How am I? Isn’t that weird – to ask How a person is? How is just a way of saying “by what means”. By what means am I? When a mommy and daddy love each other very much – well, you see where this is going. Or do you mean, “By what means” am I here? I walked, if you really want to know.” Still, Julie’s face contained the proud grin.
“Funny. You. Are. A. Very. Funny. Person. Has anyone ever told you that?”
“Oh. C’mon, cheer up. Why don’t you tell me what’s bugging you Michael.”
“It’s nothing. I mean, it’s just that I’m only th---“
“Well, if it’s nothing then there’s nothing to tell me”, She said, with that same arrogant smirk on her face. Michael couldn’t help but chuckle.
“Seriously, why don’t you tell me what’s up.”
He paused, considering what to tell her, deciding what to let her in on. He decided to give her the short, simple, overview-esque answer.
“Just a lot of work to do. A big project or paper in almost all my classes. It’s been making me a little grim, I guess.”
“Well that’s what I’m here for.”
Julie put the small bag she had strapped over her shoulder onto the table.
“I have brought you what I have deemed “A Bag of Festivities”!” She proclaimed, in a joking, manly voice.
“Mhm. And what would that be?” he said in disbelief, once again.
“Well, let’s take a look shall we?” She pulled out the items one by one, making sure to explain what each one was.
“Here, we have a pen containing not one, not two, but THREE! DIFFERENT! COLORS!” she said in that silly announcer-like voice again.
“And we’ve also got a… “S*** Happens” bumper sticker, and a…. Spongebob Squarpants Pez Dispenser, and… last but not lest, a Three Musketeers Bar, Halloween edition. Fancy, huh?” She was smiling and was so proud of herself, that just looking at her face made Michael happy.
“Thank you very much Julie, for this quote-unquote, “Bag of Festivities””
They paused for a minute or two to having their drinks, and they could help but laugh and smile at each other.
“You wanna maybe go for a walk?”
“What do you think?”

They spent the rest of the day walking through the park – just talking, laughing, being themselves. It was almost too good to be real that when looking back, Michael couldn’t remember if it really happened or if it all was just a dream.