I am Human

What right do you have to make me feel inadequate? Who gave you permission to look at me as if I was someone who is trying to rise above her standards, someone who should be shot down immediately? You whisper to your friends, how dare I speak to you in such an insolent tone, how dare I look you in the eye! What an attempt to make me 10 inches small. Did I offend you by laughing too loudly? By smiling too quickly? You need to be close to me to see that I express myself so readily. Is it when I’m sad or angry, the times where I’m most hurt, when I let your teasing comments get to me? Do you need to believe that I’m a rock so you can become angry when I show you I’m human? Well hear this, I am human. I have feelings, as hard as that may be to believe. And I see that you are human too. Do you know that I’m just like you? I’m good at hurting with words, better even. I can draw blood with words. I know the pressure points, how to hit where it hurts. I beat you to the ground with words. And once you’re down I can kick you with a secret. I can disgrace you with a turn of your own words. But I wouldn’t dare. Do you want to know why I wouldn’t? I refuse to stoop down to the level of a petty child such as you.