Humpty Dumpty | Teen Ink

Humpty Dumpty

By Jamie Pagdonsolan BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey
Jamie Pagdonsolan BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey

Humpty Dumpty
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again!

What most people would like to know is, why was Humpty Dumpty sitting on a wall in the first place? The answer is quite simple – he was tired. But now the question is, why was he tired?

Humpty Dumpty was around 30 years old and lived on his own. He was a struggling artist trying to make ends meet in any way he could. He would try and attempt to find clients anywhere he could, but no one seemed interested in his artwork. Humpty Dumpty obtained menial jobs that had low pay. He would bus tables, babysit children in the village, and he was even a dog walker for some time. Whatever the job was, it was not enough.

One day as he was walking his neighbor’s Chihuahua, Stanley, Humpty Dumpty passed by the king’s castle. He has never taken this route before, but he decided that he wanted to have an adventure that day. As he continued to walk closer and closer to the castle, the sky became darker. Before he knew it, he was standing right in front of the castle. Even more surprisingly, he found himself finding a way to climb over the wall to enter the king’s castle, leaving Stanley behind.

Security was not so tight in these times, clearly. Humpty Dumpty took a leisurely stroll around the castle admiring every inch of it. He even encountered some paintings against the walls, which he took mental note of for future reference. As he continued to walk along for what seemed like awhile, someone finally noticed the intruder’s presence.

“Halt! Who goes there?” questioned one of the king’s men.

Humpty Dumpty ran for it. Before when he was walking, he did not notice how far in he had gotten. Humpty Dumpty sprinted down the many halls and through the door. The king’s men all congregated together and tried to find where Humpty Dumpty had went.

Luckily, Humpty Dumpty made it out the doors. However, since he was running for some time, he grew tired. He used every ounce of energy he had to get himself over the wall, but it was no use. Being so out of breath, Humpty Dumpty just sat on the wall having no energy to actually go over it.

He was spotted; the king’s men began to shoot arrows at Humpty Dumpty. One knocked him over, and he had a great fall over the 20- foot wall. He was shattered to pieces on the ground. The king heard of the ruckus going on, and came outside.

“What did you do to this poor fool?” cried the King.

“Sir, he is an intruder!” answered one of the king’s men.

“Poor fool; he’s nothing but a dog walker! I was going to call him next week to see if he can walk my Saint Bernard! Put him back together!” commanded the King.

They all gathered together to attempt to put Humpty Dumpty back together. All the king’s horses and all the king’s men couldn’t put Humpty together again. Humpty Dumpty lay shattered all over the ground with no hope to ever see that Saint Bernard.