Sunflower Heaven | Teen Ink

Sunflower Heaven

By WrenAlaster BRONZE, Partlow, Virginia
WrenAlaster BRONZE, Partlow, Virginia

Madison:
It's me again. Well, who else would it be. Remember that sunflower field behind my house. I went to see it the other day. I remember when we use to run through it together, chasing each other around the flowers. (PAUSE) I also remember when we would sit there in silence and just listen to the wind. I would weave sunflowers together, and you'd put them in my hair. I cherished those moments. And when you bought that old camera of yours and took that picture of me in the field, with sunflowers in my hair, you told me you wanted to remember the most beautiful thing you had back home. When you left for war, I took that picture and put it in your knapsack. I wanted you to hold onto it. I wanted you to remember what you had back home. Oh, how I missed you. I would stand in that sunflower field and scream and scream and scream my heart out. I would ache from head to toe, missing your companionship. Everyone said I was completely insane... But sometimes, I would just lay in the field, imagining you next to me, weaving sunflowers in my hair. Your letters were the closest we got to each other. I would sit there for hours just feeling the envelope, holding it close, trying to imagine where you are. Then I would read it. I analyzed every word, taking it all in. You would tell me about your missions, your friends, and you were always careful to leave out anything gruesome or gut-wrenching. And then you would tell me all your fears and your sadness. How you missed home, your family, our sunflower field, and especially me. I would write you back about everything, except the war. I believed it made you feel better, that you were only away for your job. I left the war talk up to you. It was all around you, and I didn't know about it. I sent you a sunflower in the last letter you got. I wanted to send a piece of me to you. I awaited your letter in glee... but it never came. I remember opening the door and having a soldier with one arm on my doorstep. he looked at the ground and handed me a letter. I didn't say anything at your funeral. I couldn't form words, I was in such shock. You came home to me in a box. Your parents left it up to me to go through your war things. The soldier with one arm told me he was in your Unit. He said that all you talked about was me. When you took pictures, he said you would say 'This is for Maddy back home, this is for my Madison.' He said that they would make fun of him when my letters came. You would sit there for hours just feeling the envelope... trying to imagine where I had been when I wrote it. He said you would sit at night alone, pouring over every word you wrote back to me. You would distance yourself at times, and just miss me. Then he handed me all the photos you took. They were of you, your friends, were you had traveled to in Europe. I read what you had written on the back of them. You would describe every moment to me. Then I found the picture I put in your knapsack. It was worn, but you could still see me. Your friend then handed me an envelope with my name on it. When I opened it, the sunflower I sent you fell out, and so did a picture of you, all dressed up in your uniform. That's when I really cried. I poured out my heart in tears... It's been four years since then, and the war has long been over. I still live in the same town, same sunflower field. And this is what I bring to you. I brought you a sunflower. I imaging that your up in heaven, sitting in a sunflower field, waiting for me. Waiting to put sunflowers in my hair. Waiting to sit there and just be with each other. We won't mention the war, or your death, just happiness. When I sit in my sunflower field down here, I can almost feel your presence. My sunflower field is the closest I'll get to your heaven. Until then, until I'm there with you, I'll sit in that field, and love you till we meet again. And I'll always imagine us in that field. Because that, was our true heaven.