Brick Wahl: I don't know how I will live | Teen Ink

Brick Wahl: I don't know how I will live

By Rebekkah SILVER, Urbandale, Iowa
Rebekkah SILVER, Urbandale, Iowa

"My good opinion once lost is lost for ever."~Mr.Darcy from Pride and Prejudice (Page 51)
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and everday confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence at can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense."~Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice (Page 117)

Today is a sad day for the family of famed quarterback, Brick Wahl. Wahl, who previously played for the Green Bay Packers, has been forced to sign with the Patriots. The contract, which was signed at precisely 10:37.29 this afternoon, comes with the terms that Wahl will play for the team for a total of five years and that Wahl will be paid only $5 million dollars a year.
“I really don’t know what to say,”saidd Wahl. “This was the only offer for me. I had to take it. There wasn’t any other option.”
When asked about the money issue, Wahl responded with a heart wrenching, “Only $5 million a year. I don’t know how I will be able to face my children tonight. I feel like I have let them down. Frankly, I don’t know how I will live.”
Brick Wahl’s wife, Ima Wahl, was a lot more vocal about her family’s certain hardships. “I just don’t understand. I realize that Brick had to take the offer, but I just don’t understand how someone could be so heartless,” shesaidd with teary eyes. “We have a family, and now, I’m not sure how we will be able to support ourselves. I doubt whether we will be able to give our eldest daughter, Justa, that 2013 model sports car she so desperately needs for her 16th birthday. I’m not sure how we’re going to put our kids through college. It’s hopeless!”
Although the Wahls’ situation is certainly heartbreaking, some people are not so sympathetic. “This is simply ridiculous,”saidd local schoolteacher, Sandi Woods. “I make far less money than they do, and I add a great deal more to society. I educate children to prepare them for the future. I make them better citizens and help them learn more about themselves than they will learn anywhere else. I help society while he does not. But you don’t see me complaining about my paycheck, now do you?”
In response to other claims such as this, Brick Wahl stated, “I do add to society. I add to the morale in this country. I help people come closer together and bond. It’s horrible that some people will worry more about themselves than the misfortunes of others.”
In opposition of people with the same feelings as the schoolteacher mentioned above, some people have already put together a charity. The charity, called the Save Brick Wahl Foundation, will start taking donations on Monday. 100% of all donations will go to Brick Wahl and his family, in order to help them buy much needed materials, such as pool chemicals, designer clothes, and plane tickets.
“I am very grateful for those that wish to help us. I cannot thank all of you enough,”saidd Wahl. “After seeing all of your kind responses to this catastrophe, I’m starting to believe that we will make it. Somehow.”

This is a piece of satire about the ridiculousness of athletes' paychecks.