Just Go Already | Teen Ink

Just Go Already

January 22, 2012
By Kenzieee95 BRONZE, Toronto, Other
Kenzieee95 BRONZE, Toronto, Other
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Just go already. The last words I remember saying to her as she left to go out with Steve. She knew very well I didn’t like him. She ignored my warnings of him being an ass. But she still liked him and that seemed to be all that mattered. I shouldn’t have let her go; I should have told mom she was going out in the storm to see him. The ferocious storm that swept through Toronto. My twin sister, driving through it had no way of seeing the other car spinning out of control in front of her through the darkness. Her car slicing through it like butter, throwing her into a ditch causing critical neck injuries. When the police called my cell because I was number one on her contact list, I couldn’t believe it. I thought it was someone pulling a prank, I never thought anything could happen to my baby sister, to my other half who was just dancing in her room to Justin Bieber a couple hours ago, how could she be in the hospital?

When my mother, step-father Brian and I arrived at the hospital, I couldn’t believe my eyes. She looked so small and frail, covered in bandages and wires. I nervously walked up to her bedside, looking down at her face that was so much alike mine. We have the same eyes and nose but everyone says our mouths couldn’t look more different. (Which was lucky for all those ladies out there who didn’t want to feel like they were kissing Kelly.)As I looked down at her face, a small tear slid down my cheek and landed on my hand which I reached out and held Kelly's with. It was ice cold. We've been inseparable since we were born. I, being born 10 minutes before her felt it was my duty as her older brother to watch over her. She always teased about how it was only 10 minutes and how we were still the same age. But now, looking at her lifeless body, I wished that I could have been the one lying there instead of her.

My mother walked over and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. Normally I would have been annoyed at that, but right now I was too upset to care. I carefully let go of Kelly's hand and mumbled 'I need air' to my mom and walked out the door. I went into the hallway and slumped onto the floor outside the open door. I put my head in my hands and did something I hadn’t done in a very long time. I prayed. I prayed for her health. I prayed for me. I don’t know what I would do without her. Suddenly I heard the beeping sound coming from Kelly's room become quicker and louder. I looked up and saw doctors running. I stood up and ran back into Kelly's room. Something’s wrong. I could feel it. I looked at my mother who was crying in Brian’s arms. Even Brian's cheeks were tearstained. As the doctor came in with 3 nurses trailing behind, the constant beep beep beep turned into one long beeeeeep. The doctor and nurses rushed into action doing who-knows-what to Kelly. After a while, the doctor turned around and said 2 simple words that made my world crash down.


“She's gone.” He then left the room to give us some privacy. I dropped down to my knees and let all of my sadness come out. Why did these things always happen to me? Kelly and I lost our father when we were 10. I would have spun out of control if it weren’t for Kelly. She helped me snap out of it, but now she’s gone. Gone and I’ll never be able to talk to her again, never see her smile or hear her laugh. I sat on the floor balling for what seemed like hours when suddenly my mom put her hand on my shoulder and told me it was time to go home.

Home is a funny place without Kelly. After getting home last night and staring at the ceiling until my alarm rang telling me it was time to go to school. Hah, school. School means normal. Eating means normal. Showering means normal. Today is not normal. I got out of bed and walked into the kitchen with no intentions. When I sat down at the kitchen table I saw fresh flowers sitting in front of me from the hospital. ‘Sorry for your loss’. Whatever. If anyone was really sorry they would have done something for her. They would have saved her if they really cared. But they don’t, it’s their job, they get paid either way. Suddenly a hand was extending in front of my face wiping away tears I didn’t realize had been shed. It was Mrs. Malcolm from across the street. I had been sitting here the whole time and I didn’t notice her making fresh waffles and muffins.

“Hi Hunter. Your mother and Brian went to visit your Aunt Stacy.” She said looking over at me. “They want you to stay home and rest today sweetheart, you’ve had a long night. I’m really sorry.” I looked up at her and went to my room. I put on some sweats and told her I was going for a jog. It was almost soccer season.

Even though it was bitterly cold out, I didn’t even grab a jacket. I just started running not knowing where I was going. I ignored the stares my neighbours were giving me as I ran past them, knowing they all felt sorry for me. ‘Look there goes Hunter, poor kid.’ ‘Did you hear about Kelly? How terrible it must have been for the family.’ ‘His twin sister died last night, how tragic.’ I don’t want to hear it so I run even faster. I end up at the crash site. I see Kelly’s mangled Ford, almost like it had merged with the other car. I sat in the snow and leaned against Kelly’s car, closing my eyes, trying to escape reality when I hear crunching footsteps in the snow and a soft sniffle. A girl my age crouched down and sat against the car opposite me crying with her face in her hands. She didn’t look up or notice me so I leaned my head against my elbows which were resting on my bent knees and cleared my throat, trying to make it look like I wasn’t watching her.

“Oh,” she squeaked quietly making me look up. “I’m sorry, I thought I was alone.” She had a pretty face; big hazel brown eyes, tears streaking down her cute cheeks and perfectly round and pink lips and a cute small nose. She had flowing long light brown hair that shone almost golden in the sun.

“It’s alright.” I said. Wow. She’s really pretty. “What- what are you doing here?” I managed, for a moment forgetting to be sad.

“What are you doing here?” she said sounding suspicious.

“Uhh my-my sister’s car.” I stuttered pointing to Kelly’s car. Why am I so nervous?

“Oh. Is she alright? This,” She started trying not to cry. “Is my older brothers. He *sniff* didn’t make it.” She turned back towards her brother’s beat up car and burst into tears. I had no idea what to do. Do I comfort her? We just met, but I can’t leave her crying on the side of the road. I walked over to her and put my cold hand on her shoulder. She looked up at me with her sad eyes.

“Kelly... didn’t make it either.” I said wiping away a tear I didn’t realize I had shed. In that moment she wrapped her arms around me and we ended up crying into each other at the side of the road. After a while we sat down next to each other and started to talk away the pain. Her name is Amber. Her brother was Steven. He was only 21. They were close. I told her about Kelly. How she was my twin sister and we were really close too. I told her how I lost my dad and now had Brian and how I don’t know what I’m going to do without Kelly.

“Now you have me, Hunter,” Amber said moving closer next to me and taking my hand.” Now we have each other to get through this, who else knows how we feel?”

“I’m sorry for Kelly’s accident,” I said shedding more tears. I hadn’t cried like this in, I don’t even know how long. “But I’m not sorry I met you Amber.” We barely knew each other, yet I could feel myself moving in closer and kissing her beautiful lips.