Kyle's Story | Teen Ink

Kyle's Story

By Alex Ezlakowski BRONZE, Prospect Heights, Illinois
Alex Ezlakowski BRONZE, Prospect Heights, Illinois

When I wake up in the morning, I dread going to school everyday. I’m already seven years old, but still kids tease me. I usually come home crying since the bullies call me mean names because of the birthmark on my neck. I’m just a normal kid on the inside. I like to play baseball with my understanding friends, go swimming in the summer, and also I enjoy watching cool cartoons on TV. I live in Chicago on Oxford Street; I love my neighborhood, but ever since my mom signed me up for summer camp at Olympia Park, I have been teased now more than ever. Girls don’t want to talk to me or be near me at all because all they keep staring at is my birthmark. My mother tells me all the time, “Kyle, you need to understand that everyone is different. It’s what’s on the inside that matters. You are my perfect son, and I will always love you.” I know she loves me, but she doesn’t understand that what kids say to me really hurts my feelings. She doesn’t know how it feels.

One day, I’m sure I will be mature enough to embrace the fact that I was born with this “unique” quality, and that one day someone will love me for who I really am on the inside, just like mama always says. But now at my summer camp, my counselor talks to me about it, he says that if I have any problems, I can always come talk to him. Jim is a great counselor; he told all the kids how cool and funny I am and I have noticed that a couple more kids have been talking to me now. I have a fieldtrip to the Norwood Park Swimming Pool tomorrow and I am very excited. I love to swim, and I think this will be a great opportunity to bond with some other kids that like swimming too. I can already picture myself splashing in the water, catapulting myself in the deep end, and having races to see who is the fastest at the butterfly stroke. I know I want to ask Jim to have a contest to see who can hold their breath underwater the longest. I can’t wait to go down the water slide. It is really high at the top, but I’m sure I won’t be scared. I believe God gave me this birthmark for a reason, and also he blessed me with courage, strength, and my family. I am thankful that I am unique. Some people don’t take the time to get to know me; they need to find out how much fun this seven-year-old boy really is! My birthmark is part of me; I can’t take it off even if I wanted to. I need to adjust better and learn that some people are going to be mean to me, it’s a way of life. On the other hand, I know there are some really nice and understanding friends that I can make.

Some pieces of this story are true, others made up for the topic given to me by the teacher.