In The End | Teen Ink

In The End

Prologue

It’s been a while, but it didn’t matter at the moment. I knew he was the one, and no matter what he did, or what I did, we would always come back to each other. Whether we meant to or not. When I saw him, I couldn’t contain myself any longer. With everything that’s happened in the last while, well I was just glad to see someone I knew that was okay and well. I ran over to meet him, and I didn’t think twice about what might happen in the next few days; all I was thinking about was right now.
There was a moment; we both hesitated, but in the end, our feelings of the good times won out, and I leaped into his strong, open, wonderful, caring, arms, knowing that I was going to be okay for the moment, and that’s all I needed. “I’ve missed you so much, you have no idea,” His husky voice whispered in my ear, and he held me tighter, closer, pressing me to him as if it would be the last time we do so.
“I’ve missed you too,” I said, the tears streaming down my face already.
We must have stood there for a good while, because we broke apart when I caught an older couple hugging as we were. I let go of him, and just looked at the older couple, thinking that that’s what I wanted out of my life at one point in time, but I had other things now, like a job, and the fact that I’m just not ready for anything like that after what happened after high school.
He followed my gaze, and I knew that he was thinking along the same lines I was. For he was in the same boat I was in, we had a lot in common. “They look so cute, like they have never loved anything, even their children, more than each other. It looks like they know what it feels like to lose that feeling,” I whispered, knowing that he would never ask me what I was thinking, because he had stopped that when we went our different ways; when we realized that the other wasn’t always going to be there.
“They remind me of us, way back when,” He said, his hand slowly winding its way around my waist, something he hadn’t done in a while.
I just nodded, not wanting him to know I was thinking the same thing just a moment before. I looked at him, and something about his outlook changed since I last saw him. He didn’t smell of alcohol, not that he had a drinking problem, it was just always there for him after high school, and he cleaned himself up from the stinking rich sent I got from him the last time I saw him. “Have you been working?” I asked out of the blue, knowing that he knew what I was asking the moment it ran out of my mouth.
He just smiled at me, probably just happy to know that one thing about me hadn’t changed. “Yea, I’ve been working since the last time I saw you, and I actually have a question for you,”
“Okay shoot,” I said, smiling just like I did so many times way back when.
He took a deep breath in, and let it out. “I know it’s been a while, and we haven’t really talked since I last saw you, but I think I finally got my life back again, and I know what I want to do with it. I have achieved most of the things on that list, but there is one thing left,”
I just stared at him. I guess I should have seen it coming, but I really hadn’t, and that’s what I question about that whole day. But it doesn’t matter now. What mattered is that I said yes, and my list of what I wanted out of life was finally completed too. I guess way back when I knew it was going to end up like this, but along the way, I lost faith on the one thing I never wanted to lose. But it was here again, and I wasn’t going to let it slip from my hands again.