Memory Loss | Teen Ink

Memory Loss

By findmeinyourheart7 GOLD, Pomona, New York
findmeinyourheart7 GOLD, Pomona, New York

Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. - Maya Angelou.

I lost a sense of who I was when everything around me disappeared. Could it be, that I had been here but slowly, I merely became a speck of a lost cause, drowned out by the angry voices that sought to tear me down? If images fade from our memories, I believe so do people. No matter how great you were as a person in this life, you will fade away, like everything else that was ever pure in this world. It's like we all have experienced a time of memory loss-maybe even a time of psychological repression where the emotions, thoughts, and memories that we've remembered create a conflict within ourselves. People try out defense mechanisms to cope with reality, to cope with the inner battle we have with our heart and mind. All the while, losing themselves in this battle, in this conflict that overtakes our lives and shatters the essence of our purity. What specks that are left of us, what memories that we hold on to, all shape our new image. Hence, our old selves have disappeared; we fade away.